• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

VIC-1 Power Information

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
Figure I'd put this out as some professional development on VIC-1 power cables.

There's basically 3 power cables for a VIC-1 system with 12 series radios.

The first cable is an A3190664 which is a cable that runs from a 3 prong armored vehicle power plug (battery power) to an MX-7777or 7778 Surge Supressor. This cable has a three prong bendix ring connector.

Second cable is a CX-13089 that provides power from the MX-7777 or 7778 Surge Supressor to a Mount MT-1029. This cable also has a three prong bendix ring connector.

Third cable is used with a MX surge supressor and plugs directly into a Mount MT-1029 or going straight into a Amplifier AM-1780. This is the CX-4720 cable and it comes with bare wires on one end to wire into battery power.

Hope this helps those wondering about some of these cables.

Attachments

BillIdaho

Just for the sake of clarification........I am guessing the "A319664" is a CX16013, which is a Bendix on one end and the GRC fitting on the other. The Bendix for the power outlet on the vehicle (such as a Gama Goat) and a GRC type fitting, NOT a VRC type fitting on the other. Easiest way to tell that particular cable is if it can plug into the input AND outlet of an MX7777 and make a loop.
The input of an MX7777 is the same as a GRC type radio, (such as a GRC106). The CX 13089 is a Bendix to a VRC series, such as an MT1029, MT1989.
On some of the GRC cables, the shape of the housing for the 4 prong end isn't rounded like all VRC series cables, it has a somewhat "squared off and pointed" housing. Hard to describe until you hold it in your hand and compared the two. Another difference is a GRC fitting has a longer round part that goes into the MX-7777. A VRC style fitting and a GRC style fitting will not interchange. They did that on purpose.
I just spent three years and a gazzillion gallons of sweat restoring my Goat with all the comm gear. All the complaining I have heard about how mechanically complicated a Goat is to work on is NOTHING to finding and installing all the radio/comm/VIC-1 gear, as per the TM's. The specific mounts, brackets, and actual radios weren't the hard part to find. The cables were the biggest hassle. Not so much the cost, just finding all the right ones. And after finding a handful at a show, (such as Lodi), gettting back home and installing them, I would stand back and they dissappeared. That thing soaked up cables as fast as I could find them.
I have seen several CX13089 cables marked with the yellow band as CX4720. Be careful.

If nothing else, I learned cables. Second went to antenna connectors. That, in and of itself was just about as much of a pain as the power cable stuff.
Simplification: battery to MT1029= CX4720
Power outlet (Bendix) to MX7777=CX10613
MX-7777 to MT1029 (or MT1898) = CX13089
MX7777 to VIC-1= CX4723
MX7777 to GRC type radio= CX10613
Disclaimer:I can think of a couple of exceptions, (which I won't go into) Late at night, from memory, working midnight shift. Thanks.

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
To clarify, the VRC fitting on the CX4720 and the CX13089 are the same. The difference is the bendix ring on the 13089 and the bare wires on the 4720.

The CX4723 runs from the MT1029, the AM1780, and each of the C2298's.

The CX10613 is correct. The ones I have are all marked with A3190664 hence my incorrect number.

Maybe someday I will get into the GRC side of mil radios but my wife spends too much money for me to afford anything like that.

Cheers :beer:

powerhouseduece

Figure I'd put this out as some professional development on VIC-1 power cables.

There's basically 3 power cables for a VIC-1 system with 12 series radios.

The first cable is an A3190664 which is a cable that runs from a 3 prong armored vehicle power plug (battery power) to an MX-7777or 7778 Surge Supressor. This cable has a three prong bendix ring connector.

Second cable is a CX-13089 that provides power from the MX-7777 or 7778 Surge Supressor to a Mount MT-1029. This cable also has a three prong bendix ring connector.

Third cable is used with a MX surge supressor and plugs directly into a Mount MT-1029 or going straight into a Amplifier AM-1780. This is the CX-4720 cable and it comes with bare wires on one end to wire into battery power.

Hope this helps those wondering about some of these cables.

niow all im wondering is who has spliced the power cable to connect to the battery? there is 2 wires in the cable, a inner and outer. All im wondering witch one is postive and witch one is negative?

niow all im wondering is who has spliced the power cable to connect to the battery? there is 2 wires in the cable, a inner and outer. All im wondering witch one is postive and witch one is negative?
The inner cable is the positive, the outer ground (shielding). Test by checking resistance between the end of the outer cable and metal part of connector (or any unpainted ground of your VIC1 setup if you hooked it up already).

Cheers,
Mark

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
I've received a little more education since I posted that almost a year ago.

I would have to say that a person definately needs the TM on the VIC1 to properly install it and ensure you have it just the way you want it.

powerhouseduece

I've received a little more education since I posted that almost a year ago.

I would have to say that a person definately needs the TM on the VIC1 to properly install it and ensure you have it just the way you want it.

Im just trying to make sure, as you might know, my brother is a little slow :cookoo:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks