• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Beast Update

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I always thought those were really neat. Dodge had a swell name for the series too "Power Wagon". They had the perfect drive train, to apply all the power the little flat head would produce. It wasn't fast - didn't need to be, but you would get there.

Lee in Alaska

Ugg013

Lee:

The name Power Wagon came after WW II. The Beast is a WC. After the war ended, all these returning GI's contacted Dodge & asked if the was a civilian version of the WC, cause unlike Jeeps, the WC's didn't get stuck. :wink: The Dodge people, being very astute businessmen, made that civilian version, albeit, it changed from a 3/4 ton to a 1 ton, & continued making the almost exact same vehicle until 1972. Good run huh?

I've seen film of building the Alcan, & there were all these CCKW's stuck in the mud, & here goes this WC 53, just boppin thru. :twisted: Someone said that the reason there's so many pic's of Jeeps is that the Dodge's were to busy workin to pose for pictures. :twisted: :wink:

Later
Ugg

Ugg013

Brian:

It coulda been but not really. I mean, like most things back then, if it was needed, use whatever was on hand. :wink: It's made of pipe. I'll get some close ups of how it's mounted.

Elwenil said:
Actually the Power Wagon was made up unitl the late 1970s as an export model.
Yeah, as the M601 & varients. No, jest kidding on that, but they made em (PW's) up to either 72 or 78, can't remember which, & yeah, from 68 on as export only. Still, that's an awful long run in the same basic set-up. 22 years (US). How long did the Bug run?

Later
Ugg

Ugg013

Brian:

It coulda been but not really. I mean, like most things back then, if it was needed, use whatever was on hand. :wink: It's made of pipe. I'll get some close ups of how it's mounted. Um, as far as I know, that's the only pic of the WC 53 "Special". BTW, there were supposedly only 2 prototypes made. The Holy Graile. :lol:

Elwenil said:
Actually the Power Wagon was made up unitl the late 1970s as an export model.
Yeah, as the M601 & varients. No, jest kidding on that, but they made em (PW's) up to either 72 or 78, can't remember which, & yeah, from 68 on as export only. Still, that's an awful long run in the same basic set-up. 22 years (US). How long did the Bug run?

Later
Ugg

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was thinking of the 1951 M37 that I have had since along about 1970. It has many of the same drive train components, or you can distinctly see the heritage. The engine - seems like it was 1942 (some where in there), that it came out & ran way up till the "Slant 6", replaced it. It wasn't necessarily the best engine, but they had it. The best part, that made these trucks hog through mud & stuff, was the 4 & 3/8" stroke. They just kept going - chain them all the way around, put them in a gear, that you know that you can make it in, and you'll get there, but not in a hurry.

Lee in Alaska

Ugg013

rosco said:
I was thinking of the 1951 M37 that I have had since along about 1970. It has many of the same drive train components, or you can distinctly see the heritage. The engine - seems like it was 1942 (some where in there), that it came out & ran way up till the "Slant 6", replaced it. It wasn't necessarily the best engine, but they had it. The best part, that made these trucks hog through mud & stuff, was the 4 & 3/8" stroke. They just kept going - chain them all the way around, put them in a gear, that you know that you can make it in, and you'll get there, but not in a hurry.

Lee in Alaska
Lee:

Lest we furgit the 5:83 gears too. :lol: Pull the eye teeth outa Godzilla. :twisted: I offed mine to 4:89's so I could get places a bit faster. :wink: Now from my understanding, the m37's & the WC's have nuthin in common on the drive train, and nuthin is interchangable (except maybe the engine). But I'm not the go to guy on that stuff.

I'm realtively new to all this. We've only had the Beast for about 7 years, but I did drive a M37 while doin time. :wink: I'm still learning as I'm going. Oh, BTW, that OD on the Beast now, that's only primer. I had em mix it up special. Kinda like a tease, to make me work harder & faster. Hopefully, weather permitting, the Beast will be all one color tomorrow (ooops, today).

Later
Ugg

fisch

Ugg glad to see you are still around. The WW2 Dodge Forum is hard down. So I am lurking in other spots at the moment. Later.

Fisch

Ugg013

Guys:

As soon as I recover from the 4th I'll post the newest Beast pics. It's all OD now (albeit primer).

Fisch:

Yeah, I know. I think Bert's on holiday & will fix it when he gets back (I hope).

Rizzo:

Those are the NATO NDT's. 10 ply Alliance tires. Can't get em in the US of A anymore (new at least).

Later
Ugg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks