• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

ATF

FormerNewMVGuy

Hello All!
I have a friend who is keeping me stocked with used filtered ATF, I am running a 60/40 mix, 60% ATF, My truck runs great on this mixture. My question to you guys is, Has anybody had any ill effects from running waste ATF? I just dont want any long term problems down the road, other than plugging the fuel filters. The waste ATF is filtered through two 5 micron filters, and i have two very strong magnets on the primary fuel filter to pick up any metals.

All input is welcome1
Thanks

55Cameo

Personally I haven't run ATF but I've heard about a lot of people running up to a 95% mix of ATF and Gasoline without problems. I run a 75% used motor oil and 25% gas/diesel mix with good results. Also running it through a 5 micron filter with magnets on the storage container. Putting the magnets on the primary is a great idea also.

cleb

55Cameo: With the 75% WMO and 25% gas mix, how cold can it get before the truck won't start? I've been running 50/50, which seems what most people do, one member said he runs 70% WMO and 30% gas, and its ok down to 0deg F before more gas is needed in the mix? Just curious as to what your expierence with it is.

Djfreema

In Memorial
In Memorial
I just picked up 55 gal of new ATF from work that the mechanic cant use in the cars for some reason. I plan on running a 50/50 mix, just need a 1 " hose to run from the drum pump to fill up the tank. I just bought the new primary fuel filter set up from Napa in case the filters start plugging and need frequent changes, hopefully I'll get it installed Thursday.

jwaller

the only thing you need to be careful of is the asbestos thats in the used ATF. some of it will make it's way into the inj pump and I'd guess over time it will wear out the pump plunger or make it stick rendering your truck dead.

FWIW I run lots of the stuff in my trucks with no ill effects so far.

55Cameo

As far as the temp, I live in Florida. Since I have been using the waste motor oil, it hasn't gotten below 50 degrees. It does take about 2 seconds longer cranking in any weather to start, but start it does. There might be a slight decrease in power but can't be sure. If there is it is very minor.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thats weird. I just started running UMO in my 35. It always had to crank a few seconds before it started. With the UMO (75% or so) it fires right up.

jimmcld

I poured some odds and ends new ATF and motor oil in our deuce. It seemed to run better. I believe it lubricated the turbo and allowed it to spool up faster. It's amazing how many of us have half quarts of motor oil and ATF setting around in our garages.

55Cameo

I might have injector issues that could be causing the starting delay. My Deuce smokes all of the time. Idle, part throttle, and full throttle. Not really sure, it still runs so I won't 'fix' it. It smoked before the oil mixture also, just a little more with the oil.

Djfreema

In Memorial
In Memorial
I cleaned out the garage a bit today, poured several opened quarts of new motor oil in the tank, 5 gallons of year old gas (treated with sta-bil), 10 gallons of new ATF and I have 1 gallon of Gas powered radio controlled car fuel which is 20% nitromethane and some type of alcohol mix that I want to pour in but am a little scared. Anybody know if the nitro fuel will hurt anything or have a chemical reaction to any of the above fuels? The nitro seems pretty similar to diesel as it ignites from compression in what are essentially 2 stroke diesel engines that the R/C cars have. This is mixed with about 15 gallons of diesel. I ran the truck for a bit and the exhaust seemed to have a brownish color to it but seemed to run fine.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The exhaust might smell good if you did use it!...the RC car gas.

Manstein

Chaplain Emeritus
I've been running straight 100% used auto trans fluid for about a year now with no problems. I filter it with magnets and then run it thru a filter I built out of CPVC which has a 5 micron bag inside a 1 micron bag. I have had zero problems starting, driving or anything else. The only problem I have is that I'm paranoid the oil companies know and have a satelite locked on me with a very big bomb attached.

I also applied my trans fluid technology to my Kubota tractor which I have been running on a 50/50 mixture of diesel/trans fluid with no problems.

I also started running my brand new 1985 VW Golf diesel on the same cocktail and have this to report. My fuel mileage dropped from 47 mpg diesel only to 38 mpg on the cocktail. But on the flip side, I cut my fuel bill in half so its still a winner.

CCATLETT1984

jimmcld said:
I poured some odds and ends new ATF and motor oil in our deuce. It seemed to run better. I believe it lubricated the turbo and allowed it to spool up faster. It's amazing how many of us have half quarts of motor oil and ATF setting around in our garages.
There is no way your fuel source is lubing the turbo. the atf burns hotter wihich makes more pressure in the exhaust, thats what spools the turbo faster. [thumbzup]

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks