• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Slant Back Attachment

MoeJoe

I got a slant back a few months ago and am planning on putting it on my previously soft topped '87 HUMVEE. I talked with quite a few people and some informed me i had to purchase a new windshield frame that doesn't have the grove for the soft top and that has the mounting brackets for the front of the top and the wepons ring mount. others said the brackets can be fabricated and welded on an existing soft top windshield frame. Any words of advice? Anyone made this conversion before? :confused:

BTW, Thanks to all ya'll who gave me advice on getting that hard top, I picked it up from Tommy Craig down in FL (850-838-3931), Awesome guy and a great deal!

dilvoy

MOEJOE, I think that you should get a TM, because a picture is worth a thousand words. Yes there is a bracket on each side of the windshield. Look at your top and you will see where they need to be. Just below those round socket things on each side of the front end of your top. Rubber isolators with a spacer and a bolt and nut type thing is used to hold it into place. It seems that they did not just want to bolt the top solidly to the windshield frame. Those brackets that you are talking about are really thick. If you look closley at your windshield you will notice two slots cut in the bottom side of top header area. these are for plates with four welded nuts to be slid inside for the brackets that attach to the turrett supports to attach to. Four holes would need to be drilled into the windshield frame for the bolts to go through. those plates cost $45 each. Some people use rivnuts instead.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks