• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

6.2L GM diesel info?help?

warwick

i have been searching the net looking for info on the cucv 6.2L engines. also i have tried finding an active diesel forum. the only diesel forum i found thats active seems to be mostly cummins and powerstroke guys. i asked about the 6.2 and havn't gotten much reponse. other than its a dog and a timebomb, no tech info to back it up just thats its a boat anchor. if i had to guess it would be that ford & dodge guys a just pissing on the GM V8 diesel.

i know alot of the diesel guys are make unbeilveable torque and HP with modern diesels that have turbos and other mods. so when i ask about the 6.2 they say its gutlees compared to thier diesels.

anyway heres what i posted on the other forums:

'68 M715 w/w

6.2L from a cucv

NV4500 or sm465

NP205 devoriced

stock dana60 front dana70 rear with 4.56 or 5.87 gears

38" michelin XL

i want to put a diesel in my m715 and i am on a budget, also like the idea of keeping it military with cucv engine. plans for the truck is all around driveing; ie mild offroad, city driven,highway. i would like to keep up with traffic but its an old military mule and i don't need it to set any records. i want a dependable diesel but can't afford a cummins or a powerstroke. so here are my questions:

will the 6.2 be able to last in my m715 with the above mods?

can you turn these engines up for more performance with out killing the engine?

where can i find more info/resources on the 6.2?

i am new to diesels and have some questions that need answering so please bear with me.

any and all opinions/help is greatly appreciated.

thanks

mangus580

Brian check out http://www.thedieselplace.com it is almost only chevy diesels... you will find any answer you need on the 6.2 there.

I dont see why the 6.2 would give you any trouble in that arrangement either. Alot of people dont like them, but they really are a good running engine. Granted, they dont have the power of the cummins/powerstrokes....

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The 6.2L motor is a very good one. It is very durable. I have seen many trucks with several thousand miles on them 6.2s in them. The guys that say the motor is a dog are those that incorrectly compare it to today's diesels. Yes, it is a dog compared to a Duramax, the newer Cummins, or the Powerstroke. However, for its day, it was a good, reliable motor.

Brian in Maryland...if you want a motor...I think I can get one for $850...plus shipping from Florida. I just bought two from the guy, but one went to a friend and one is for my HMMWV.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
By the way...I said "several thousand miles." I meant several HUNDRED thousand miles. Several thousand miles wouldn't be too good, would it?!?!

dilvoy

warwick, The 6.2 diesel is a very dependable engine. But as stated by others can't really be compared to the modern diesels fairly. I have installed a chrysler 440 gas engine into a 1977 J20 Jeep which has the same engine compartment as your truck and I can tell you that you will be able to fit the engine into the truck and you will have better clearance for the front driveshaft than I do, because of the higher ride hight of your truck. But...... the problem you will have is in the cooling system. Oh, if your vehicle has a heater box sticking into the engine compartment, you will have to probably cut a third of it off or mabye not. The radiator is the big problem. The grille opening was designed for a low power six cylinder Tornado or Hurricane engine that ran a lot cooler than a 440 or a diesel. More power output will generate more heat. The diesel engines really run hot compared to gas engines too. A chevy truck 6.2 diesel radiator compared to a chevy truck 454 gas radiator is twice as thick. You will in my opinion need a four row radiator and as wide and tall as can fit betrween your frame rails. Even if there is no direct air to it the extra size will help. A well built fan shroud is a must as well as a seven blade fan. Forget about electric fans. When I ran those expensive dual electrics my engine was at the verge of boiling over even on a foggy day. Get your tape measure out and see if that diesel with the fat radiator and fan will fit. Don't leave yourself just half an inch space either. Things move around while driving and especially four wheeling. Anything can be done and your conversion is not that difficult, but to make it really work like a factory installation, you may have to cut out part of the firewall and move it back three or four inches, but that diesel will make that truck a totally different vehicle. Lots of torque, compared to your original engine. The 6.2's mechanical injection pump make wiring a snap too. This conversion will probably hurt the collectors value of your vehicle, but it's your truck so do what you want.

warwick

[/quote]mangus580: thanks for the link good site and good info. gonna spend sometime on there getting the basics down for now.

Bkubu: i'm not there yet might be interested in a engine this winter if i get this figured out and move forward with the swap. also the above site has a guy talking about his 6.2 with over 500,000 and still going strong. thats more like it i figured over 300,000 but some where saying it wuold be lucky to make it 100,000.

dilvoy: thanks for the tips, i will deffently need to do something about that 37 year old radiator. spicergear put a 6.2 in one of his m715 fit pretty good in the engine bay. also my m715 is to far gone to be a collector truck, plus i dont what the headaches of babysitting the stock 230 I6.

thanks for responses/help and keep them coming. this is gona be my first engine swap and my first diesel,i need to figure alot of stuff out. so more questions to follow.

az_green

looking for an ac sys for 86 cucv blazer but i do not want to convert to 12v sys. does anyone have a sugestion for putting ac in this vehicle. have explored roof rv units, but do not like the look. would like to keep it as stock as possible. HELP!!!!!! I am arizona and it is to hot to not have ac

mangus580

Really simple, use the 12v part of the cucv to run the clutch. Remember, MOST of the cucv is 12v, only the starter, and glow plugs arent.

az_green

mangus580

i need info on brackets and ac compressor placement. looking at other vehicles with the compressor mounted under passenger side alternator it appears to not fit . also it looks as if i need a diffrent crank pulley. also where would i put the evap box. just need a few leads on parts or suppliers to install a kit or remove parts from another vehicle.

dilvoy

azgreen, The evap box will go where your military wire buss bars and rear battery are. I guess you could move the battery to the civi place over to the left of the radiator. A 24 volt alt on the right side with that converter box and the A/C compressor above the power steering pump, just like on the CUCV ambulances. Buy an ambulance and use all that stuff including the condensor, get the evap w/box from a civi blazer, pick up or surburban and connect tnhe dots.

mangus580

I know nothing about what parts to get where... I just know that you dont have to search out a 24v unit. Wish I could help! as I really would like it in mine too...

az_green

thank you, magnus and dilvoy, for the info. does anyone know a good place to find an ambulance or any salvage yards in the phoenix area. i just purchased this truck about three weeks ago and i love it.....but i would like it more if it had AC. been out offroad with it a couple of times and it will climb just about anything. it could use a 4 inch lift than it would a great camping and offroad truck. i just like stock trucks....less problems. does anyone know of some clubs in the phoenix area?

HectorWithInjectors

I have been in the diesel business for over 15 years now. NO you cant compare a mechanical engine with a duramax, cummins or powerstoke but I have found that the 6.2 / 6.5 military engines are the way to go. Lots more affordable to keep up than a 5.9 or 6.9 7.3 ford.

Good luck!

kurtze99

Hey guys just wanted to add my two cents. I was a diesel mechanic for years and heard alot of Techs talk about how GM 6.2/6.5's are kind of like the old two stroke Detroits, Junk! I always had to disagree, most of the guys that said this didn't understand them and had trouble fixing them so that made them junk. I ended up being the guy to always work on these motors and enjoyed it. The 6.2 was really a pretty good motor and was simple to work on as was the early 6.5, the later 6.5's were a little more troublesome when they started adding electronics to them but also a good motor. I owned a couple trucks with the 6.2, great fuel economy and plenty of power for me. My 82 GMC Jimmy looked rough but with 150,000mi for $500, 20-22mpg and drove it another 75,000mi I couldn't complain. (Sold it when I bought a Dodge with a Cummings, lots of power but $400 pmts. and 16mpg:cry:)

I'm considering putting a 6.2 and TH400 in my 61' Willys pickup so I think this would be an excellent upgrade. Sorry for the rambling , it's getting late!

AJMBLAZER

There's a guy over in Europe on YouTube who has some videos of some marine app 6.2L and 6.5L diesels he's built. Wanna talk about sounding mean.:-D

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks