• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Sense of fuel level, or lack there-of

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ran out of fuel today while bringing an LDT-465-1C engine home. Never happend before.
Before leaving for the 65 mile long trip, I checked the fuel level with a dip stick. It showed 2 inches, which is about 8 gallons. Okay, so I figure I'll need about 10 gallons for the trip and add 2 gallons of cooking oil, 2 gallons of biodiesel (that's all I had prepared at this time) and 5 gallons of petro diesel. That totals about 17 gallons and should be enough for the trip even with the drive down and back up the mountain to Mt Airy, NC.
I have lots more cooking oil, but wasn't ready to use such a high percentage.
Well, I almost made it home. I was thinking about the possibillity of running out of fuel the entire trip so when the engine suddenly goes very quiet, it was no surprise. It's fairly level and I had been doing a good 50 mph, so I'm just rolling along looking for a place to stop where I'll be off the right-a-way. It's a two-lane highway and no shoulder. I round a turn and there is a driveway. How nice! I pull over, called home and my wife and son bring the needed diesel 1/2 hour later.
Bled the air out at the final fuel filter and started the engine again.

Checking the fuel level while waiting for the my son and my wife, I noticed that it was still about 1-1/2 inches of fuel in the tank. I guess not enough to allow for sloshing while driving.
Okay, so why not use some of the hydraulic fluid for fuel? I have 15-20 gallons of that. However, it is still contaminated with a very small amount of water from the fording exercise and didn't want to take a chance (and I'm only 10 miles away from home).

I noticed that the turbo boost went up about 2 psi with the 90% diesel mix. The EGT was perhaps 50 degrees higher.

Oh, the reason that I didn't get fuel during the trip was that I simply didn't bring any money.

The engine comes with a turbo, 60A alternator, starter, injection pump, compressor, water pump and probably a good head. At least on rod is shot, judging by the clanking sound when it's turned over.

These items will all be for sale. I also have a deuce take-off radiator.

Pictures and prices later.

Dieselsmoke

I did read an article in PS magazine one time about not taking the M series trucks below 1/4 tank on the gauge. I have so dang many PS mags Id never be able to find it, but it did say excatly what you said that even though there is still a few inches of fuel in the bottom sloshing will allow the pump to suck air instead of fuel.

Westech

CPL
yeah water is a very bad thing!! right after I went in the water in MI (over 4 feet) I thought to myself, O FUGE the gas cap sucks and is under 2 feet of water. I shut it down right after I got out. I let it cool to air temp and started it back up and O MY GOSH I smoked out the park it was like a jet of solid white smoke for over 5 min. But what could I do I had 45 gallons of diesel and water and not a thing to do with it but run it. I took it back to camp about 5 miles down the road and let it cool over night. When I started it in the morning it smoked like heck till it got to 180 and then it stopped. Drove it 450 miles home and it still runs great, I had it to the floor all the way 2700 rpm. I set a new speed record of 70 mph (3000 rpm) going down hill when I got back in to madison. Why the thing did not blow I dont know, It really ran well and sounded good at that speed also.

mangus580

I ran mine out recently too... :banghead: and to make matters worse, I don't think my in tank pump works. I was able to get it started though without too much cranking.. . :hop: Mine runs out it seems somewhere about 1/16th on the gauge..

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've gotten to the point I don't check the gauge any longer. 300 miles and i'm filling up. If I feel lucky maybe 330 miles but no more.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, my fuel gauge doesn't even work, it shows 1/4 tank to MT most of the time. I use the dip stick method.
On a long trip, I stop every 250 miles or so.
Yesterday's drive up the mountain probably only gave me 2-3 mpg (8% grade, 6 miles, 19,000 lb). Running with 2 inches of fuel is asking for it, but sometimes one only learns by doing something stupid. :)

mangus580

Fill the tank?????? I have never been able to afford to FILL it.... Closest I have been was when we took it to Bath, Ny for an American Legion District Convention last year.... and Dad payed... [:)]

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bjorn you guessed you were getting about 2-3 miles per gallon. On a 8% grade grossing 19000lbs. What speed were you holding? Were you able to hold high gear?

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ken, On that particular climb, I stay in 3rd gear, driving 27-30 mph.
With the plywood radiator cover, the temperature gets up to about 200-205 F (ambient about 80 degrees).
On parts of the hill, I could use 4th gear, but the engine gets a few degrees hotter and the speed about 30-33 mph. Using the hot water personnel heater lowers the temp a degree or two.
The EGT is about 1,000 and the boost 8-9 psi (I'm not pushing it).
The numbers are accurate, I have driven this route many times and use a DVM with thermocouple probe for temp measurements. Ambient temp and load matters.
The low fuel business should never had happened, but perhaps we learned something. :)

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, the temp would have been lower. Much lower driving downhill.
My thermostat is fully open at 195. Driving on level highway, the temp is 190-195 with an ambient of 80.
Without the plywood, the thermostat barely opens on level highway (180-185).
The open areas in the plywood roughly equals the open flap on the winter cover if you want to compare results.
Straight up and down on my gauge is 176 F. I use the DVM for the above readings with a thermocouple probe installed in the plug next to the standard sending unit.

With a radiator shutter, the temp could be kept to within 5 degrees (plus or minus) of desired operating temp at all times.

Desert Rat

Bjorn,
Would that have an impact on fuel consumtion then? That is running a bit cooler would increase or decrease your fuel consumption?

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would have to research that, but off hand I'd say that a warmer engine is more efficient and would give you more "bang for the buck" as it were.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Check under Deuce Modifications for radiator shutter post. It's from the Owner Operator Magazine so it should hit home. :)
It may be old, but the facts don't change.

Albin

Bjorn,

Don't you have 2 tanks on the Cranetruck? The reason I ask is that I was just perusing through the Aberdeen pics and I saw one with you filling the right side tank with veggie oil (tank is dented in the rear) and another pic of the CT (I think) in a truck stop that showed a tank on the left/driver's side (in fact, here's the second pic: http://www.steelsoldiers.com/DotNetForum/attach.aspx?a=1543 ).

Thanks,

Al

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Al, there are two tanks, but the one on the driver's side is the 20 gallon hydraulic fluid tank.
I had to take the spare tire carrier out and now with singles I have to bring a spare (with duals you don't really need a spare IMHO) and put it where ever there is space, in the trailer or on the cargo, mostly a bit of a PITA. The image below shows how it's usually handled.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, Kenny, looked at two does in the yard while having my usual coffee and peanut butter sandwich a while ago.
The mailman spotted the black bear again along the road the day before yesterday. We don't have any cats or dogs, so the wildlife come closer to the house.

I lived in Florida for more than ten years in the '70-80's and for some reason it still feels like coming home, driving down there, but you can't beat the peace and quiet here, population 15,000 in the entire county. Land is available all over for about $2,000/acre. Hard to find anything less than 10-acre plots, though.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks