• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

source for filters

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I need the gravity-fed sock filters for filtering used motor oil. Not sure if my terminology is right, looking for ones that look like inverted dunce caps (perfect for me). Need 50 micron, 10 micron, and 2 micron, or similar gradients. Anyone know of a good online source for cheap filters of this type?

Paul5388

I just bought some filter socks/bags from Filter Source. 10 bags cost a little less than $40 including shipping. I bought 25 micron for "rough" filtering and 1 micron for a finish filter. I'm still experimenting with the process, so I I appreciated being able to buy less than case quantities.

pa.rich

O.K. seriously, If aperson was to filter used motor oil without pressure , using gravity, does the oil pass through the filter bag real slowly or can it be done in say 15 minutes for about 5 gallons?I have plenty of used motor oil.... And next question, can this filtering be done on the side of the chassis , coming from the tank to a line of filters say graduating down to a 1 micron? or is that more expensive and risky for a clogged up filter? :?:

Paul5388

It all depends on how much crud is in the oil. I gravity filtered (25 micron) some oil that had been in a drain pan for months and the leaves and other trash were pretty hard on the bag. After that, I filtered 5 gallons of WMO that was pretty clean and it went through the same bag about as fast as I was pouring it. The 4 gallons of WVO (soy oil) I filtered first went through as fast as I could pour it.

The filter bags (7"X16") I have will filter up to 90 gpm, so with the proper filter housing, with a pressure gauge to judge when it's getting stopped up, I think it could be done in bulk fairly easy. Doing it enroute might be a different situation all together.

cbvet

Just using gravity to filter WMO thru a 100 micron filter, took about an hour per gallon after the first 3 gallons. Then after about 20 gallons, the filter was really plugged up. Made an adapter & used a hand pump after that.
Much faster.
Eric
CBVET

Paul5388

If you're going to mix with diesel or some other fuel at a later date, it might be a good idea to premix some of that fuel with the WMO. That should reduce the viscosity some and make it flow better.

Or else, you need to pre-filter through a screen to get the larger stuff and keep your filter from clogging so fast.

I wonder if anyone has addressed the whitish sludge found in the bottom of many oil pans that is probably a form of lithium soap (common ingredient in greases)?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks