• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Radiator shutters

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
This subject has been touched upon before, but Desert Rat asked about the custom plywood radiator cover on my deuce so here is a reference from the Owner Operator Magazine (Mar/Apr 1977).
Below are pages 1 and 2 of the article. Next post will have pages 3 and 4.

FSBruva

cranetruck-

Thanks for that great article! A good read for sure!

What sort of thermostat does the deuce have? The article mentioned two types - no bypass and bypass. I know that the bypass allows the coolant to circulate in the engine, without going to the radiator. And, that the no bypass prevent coolant from moving around if none is going to the radiator. Which kind does the duece have, and what are the pros/cons/possibilities of changing that?

Thanks again!

Matt

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You are welcome.
I accumulate a lot of references when researching for the MVM articles. This is just one of them.
The deuce has a by-pass thermostat, in that it allows the coolant to circulate whithin the engine when closed.
Remember that the oil cooler tranfers heat to the coolant as well and "hot spots" could easily develop if the coolant was blocked off. As a matter of fact, hot spots can exist without any indication on the dash gauge. They occur when scale builds up on the walls within the cooling system. Some of the ingredients of the additives keep scale from forming. The coolant should be replaced at least every two years since the chemicals break down wether the truck is driven or not.

I installed a coolant filter to filter out the core sand and other abrasives from the coolant, which are bad for seals and pump impeller. The install was done in an hour and cost less than $50. (See article in MVM issue #109 June, 2005).

FSBruva

With that article, I am now more conviced than ever of my overly complicated, overly engineered engine temperature control schema. Particularly for a truck driven in winter on the Upper Peninsula of Michigan.

The article recommended a setup to prevent fans, thermostats and shutters from "fighting"
173-180 open thermostat
190 shutterstat opens
195 fan turn on

But I remember you saying that your test showed the thermostat isn't fully opened until 185. And, I remeber reading the manual about the Ameritruck temp control system, which had different engage/disengage temperatures, to allow for some sort of equilibrium. How does this sound (developed using my extensive thermal engineering training garnered from the internet :lol: )?

Heating up:
173 - Thermostat begins to open
185 - thermostat fully open
190 - shutterstat open
195 - Fanset (two slimline 24V fans) #1 turns on
200 - Fanset #2 turns on

Cooling down:
195 - Fanset #2 turns off
190 - Fanset #1 turns off
185 - Thermostat begins to close
180 - Shutterstat closes
173 - thermostat fully closed

Granted, this will call for the installation of a higher amperage generator, but I think it should work well. Any feedback?

Matt

PS - What kind of shutters would work on the deuce? Anything? Or is "custom made" the word of the day?

Desert Rat

Matt,
Be prepared to spend $ome big ca$h for the bigger generator. I wanted to upgrade to at least 100 amps but could only afford the 80 amp upgrade. For my five ton I'm going a 200 amp upgrade with all the demands I'll be putting on it.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
A 60A alternator should be plenty even with four electic fans.
Mount the four fans away from the center where there is more space.

I'm very limited budgetwise and have a lot more ideas than completed projects.
To keep the devices from fighting or oscillating you have to have a different turn-on and turn-off points for each device. It's called hysteresis.
Go for it! Start with the shutter. I have seen them in truck salvage yards. The are usually very big, so some customization may be necessary. Check ebay too, they have them for old tractors and may fit, at least partially.

Check out below image, I have posted it before, but you may have missed it.
Many shutters are manually operated. I may use a pneumatic piston to operate mine via a solenoid. Ebay has pistons and valves...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks