• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Using Jet- A

chemicaljohn

I'm trying some jet fuel in my Deuce. I can get Jet-A from work, waste fuel drained from aircraft. It's not waste because of contamination, just because the FAA won't let us put it back in once it's been taken out. One of the guys runs it in his '04 F-250. He mixes 1 QT Marvel Mystery Oil to 40 GL fuel. At least that's what a chemical engineer at a race gas company told him to mix it at. Anyone use Jet-A themselves? Any input on a good ratio to use with oil and what type? I can also get wast turbine engine oil. Is that safe to use? JP8 always seemed to work fine in the Army, I know its a little different than Jet A. I just don't want to cause any excessive punishment of parts with the dry jet fuel.

So I put about 30 GL in the tank mixed with Mystery oil, still had about 15 of diesel in it. After letting it warm up and a drive down the street, it wanted to idle low and surge about 50 - 100 rpm slowly.Once I put the pedal down a bit and got it around 800 it was fine. Is this just an idle adjustment needed because of the fuel or just a fluke that it happend at the same time I changed fuels?

DanMartin

Looking in the TM 9-2320-361-10, section 1-28, table 1-11, Jet A-1 is considered an alternate fuel (not a primary fuel):

Commercial aviation turbine fuel Do not use below -52°F (-47°C) (ASTM D1655), jet A-1

It also states this:

If engine runs rough when using any alternate II fuel, add 10% to 30%, diesel fuel to smooth engine performance. Failure to add diesel fuel may result in damage to pistons.

Please read through this section of the -10 before doing this. I think it will be fine, especially if you add a lubricant to the mix, but do read and understand the technical information before you do anything.

devilman96

You need to get more oil in the mix, Jet A is too dry... Id try running about 20% motor oil or the turbine oil your asking about. Man I miss the days of free AV gas for my bikes!

rgregj

Been running Jet A for two years now. I have no set ratios that I mix with, but I do make sure to put at least a couple of quarts of MMO or engine oil wth it. I've been known to throw a couple of gallons of 100LL it to boot as well. So far no problems, except when I get the water from the bottom of the barrell!! Don't know if this helps, but good luck.

Regards,

Greg Jackson

chemicaljohn

Thanks Greg, i'm definitely planning on using more oil with it. As far as water in the fuel, once I get a pump for the drums in the garage i'll just keep the suction pipe from resting on the bottom by a few inches and put a good water filter on it.

tmbrwolf

In europe we ran JP-8 in everything diesel, JP-8 is supposed to be the military equivalent to Jet-A1. this was done for the "one fuel on the battlefield" concept. Never added any oil to it, when we switched from diesel to JP-8 the only problem we had was the fuel filters plugging, JP-8 was real good at cleaning up the gunk in the tank and lines, after a couple of filter changes as needed the plugging problems went away. NATO testing with JP-8 found some increased wear in the injector pumps because as mentioned earlier it's a "dry fue", adding oil should take care of that issue.l

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks