• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Basic newbie questions

mtnpatriot

Hello!

I’m a newbie here and I have a couple questions for the been-there-done-that guys on the board.

I’m interested in bidding on my first auction at GL (M105A2 trailer)and I am not too sure of the procedure. Let me run through what I think I know then ask a couple questions and maybe you all could fix the mistakes and fill in the blanks as needed.

1) Register at GL.
2) Place a bid on an item I want to buy.
3) Win said auction.
4) Submit an EUC.
5) Wait for EUC to be approved then make an appointment to go pick up the item.
6) Go pick up the item.

Now, will I need to submit a EUC for every item, ie: trailer, vehicle, etc… that GL auctions or only certain items?

What is an SF-97 and do I need one? And if so to whom & when do I submit it?

If I am only bidding on a trailer, doe that change the required paperwork? Still need an EUC?

Would I need to show insurance on the trailer prior to picking it up to take home?

How would I know what trailer receptacle the trailer uses and if I don’t have one installed on my truck, would GL allow me to hitch it to my truck and drive away?

I am very appreciative of all the help that this site has already given me and the responses that are soon to follow!

jimm1009

EUC is End User Certificate.
You only need one for certain Demil Codes and the bidding area will tell you in big red letters if you need one.
An SF-97 is the equivelant of a Title or Certificate of Origin and you must have it for most states (not all) in order to acquire a title. Some states don't require titles for certain ages of vehilces and you will have to check in your state for that.
Most trailers will require a EUC but some slip though without.
Insurance is only for motorized vehicles and trailers are not motorized.
All trailers of 50 years old or so and newer are NATO compliant which means they have the same plug with standardized wiring. You can take a M105A2 (1.5 ton trailer) and plug it into the same vehicle designed to use a M101 (3/4 ton trailer) or the other way around.
If you are towing with a former military vehicle then you only need to check your trailer recepticle just to make sure thing are functioning properly.
If you are going to pull a military trailer with a Chevy pickup or Ford or Dodge for example, you will need a pintle receiver and I would suggest using magnetic tow lights designed for motor home drivers who tow a little car behind them. They are about $35.00 or so and they come with standard 4-pin wiring.
Option #2 for this is that you could tap into the trailer wiring at the rear end of the tongue where the cord is or can be removed but you may not have time or be allowed to do this on base. You will also need some butt splices and 12 volt bulbs since most are 24 volt.
If you can do this you will need about 10 feet or so of trailer cord available from any parts store selling general bulbs, wiring, trailer balls, ect.
If you need more info PM me and I will try to help or e-mail is good too.
jimm1009@yahoo.com
If not, there will probably be others to chime here too.
There is a standard wiring diagram for NATO compliant vehicles and this is in case a US truck need to pull a German, or French, etc. trailer as an example.
Other way around.
Regards,
Jim

fstfrdy

GL also awnsers all the questions you have asked on there site in the help section or tutorials. a euc has to be submitted each time you win an item requiring one( certain vehicles, not all, trailers and some types of scrap).

pctrans

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I also have a seemingly silly question. I have tried several times to download manuals from the resources section. My window says its downloading, then when it says "done", the page is still blank. What's the trick???

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Re: RE: Basic newbie questions

pctrans said:
I also have a seemingly silly question. I have tried several times to download manuals from the resources section. My window says its downloading, then when it says "done", the page is still blank. What's the trick???
Wait longer.

You can right click on the TM, and save it to your computer,then you can open them much faster(than through the SS site). Plus, you'll have them whenever you need them.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Re: RE: Basic newbie questions

pctrans said:
If you're on dial-up it takes a long time to download manuals of any size. I gave up on my first few tries and thought there was something wrong but finally waited it out (hit download and walked away from the computer for a few hours). When I came back it was done.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks