• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

First Aid Kits

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
While at Haspin Shelley had an accident and got burned. As always, the group of steel soldiers came together and got her fixed up. I am now building my own first aid kit. I am starting with this:

http://www.redcross.org/services/hss/lifeline/fakit.html

And moving forward. I am wanting everyone's input, whats in your kits? We usually wheel the M725, but that did not make it this year and we had no kit. I am building one for each truck, so I will not be without. Hope you have one and never need it.

gimpyrobb

Thanks Kenny, but since I have some medic boxes with drawers in them, I may try to build my own. I will keep those in mind though.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good subject.
I think you should have several kits on hand depending on where you are and who is with you. For treating yourself or other persons. If you know someone has an adverse reaction to wasp stings, for example, include whatever they are used to carry along.

Like when preparing tool kits, have a kit for each task, small stuff, heavy stuff, electrical, plumbing and so on. Smaller kits are easier to use when needed, just have them ready for each task.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a basic military First Aid kit in each of my Deuces(Thanks to a SS friend). When fishing or camping, I have a nice small, soft pack FA kit. I keep a nice First Aid kit in my pickup truck also. For years I have also kept at least one pair of latex gloves in a 35mm film container, in the glovebox of my daily driver.

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
Concur with Bjorn. It's hard to have a kit that covers all issues yet fits into a compact storage location. The other problem is many folks get them and store them for years without anything happening and then when needed, they pop the kit open only to find out everything is expired and the bandages fall apart due to storage heat/humidity/packaging issues. Keep in mind that whatever you get needs to be checked. You will be buying some items every year, others every three years, and nearly an entirely new kit every 5-6 years. The cheaper the product and packaging, the sooner you'll have to replace it. ABSOLUTE HARDEST PART OF HAVING A LARGE/ADVANCED FIRST AID KIT IS KEEPING IT ALL UP TO DATE TO INCLUDE THE KNOWLEDGE ON HOW TO USE IT.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
ABSOLUTE HARDEST PART OF HAVING A LARGE/ADVANCED FIRST AID KIT IS KEEPING IT ALL UP TO DATE TO INCLUDE THE KNOWLEDGE ON HOW TO USE IT.
Yup, hard to throw one out that has not been used or is outdated, but that's what you need to do. Then buy another one! Along the same lines, I keep a fire extinguisher in my vehicles also. Same thing there, weather used or not, periodic replacement is necessary. Remember, the life you save may be your own! But hopefully you will just use your band-aides to put a smile on a kids face! :D Don't forget to get trained to perform CPR too. It's easy. A refresher course never hurts either, there was a change made in late 2005 on how to do it. Look it up on the web, at least read how it should be done, some knowledge of what to do is better than none. Remember ABC! To find a place near you, http://www.redcross.org/where/where.html

sprucemt

I carry US military bandages and dressings. Combined with localy obtained bandaids and items that expire, all stored in a saw can or 50 cal can, can be very valuble in a hurry. My preference is steel containers over plastic, but there can be a sweating issue in cold climates.

Years ago, while logging, I took a serious "sprung pole" shot to my head area. Took out my chain saw screen of my helmet system, one lens of my safety glasses and left a 1 1/2 inch gash to the scull, dead center of my forehead. To the scull bone mind you. Off the tree I was standing on and then upside down in four feet of snow.

The day before, my $100.00 first aid backpack was pretty much ruined by snow and wetness.

All I had in my pocket was 2 pieces of paper towel.

Was not a pretty picture by the time I unhooked 7 trees from the hitch one handed, and very slowly proceeded with great clarity, bleeding profusely, the 1/2 mile to my truck and then 18 miles to town.

And then there was the time I dis-located my little finger 4 times in 5 minutes..........

Some of the serious stuff you need is on the First Aid page of my site. Good ammo cans are readily available. The little stuff, get locally.

What I seem always to be missing is tape. The day I screwed up my finger, I couldn't find ANY tape let alone first aid tape. 2 trucks, a bulldozer and skidder, with 4 first aid kits and there isn't any freakin tape.

Jones

Here's what I carry in mine. In addition to the obvious stuff, tucked in the corners are; magnesium fire starter, snake bite kit, P-38 can opener, thermal blanket, splinter tweezers and magnifying eyepiece, police whistle (much farther range than a human voice), and aerial flares from a marine supply store (be careful in their use so you don't end up being spotted by the forest fire you create).
Check out North's First Aid Catalog www.linkpath.com/data/issuePDF/N-USA14/7000000402-N-USA14.pdf
They supply the individual components to customize a kit just for your specific needs.

Capt'nChaos

Looks like some great suggestions...

I'd offer the following:

500cc bottle of Saline (irrigate eyes and other body parts)
"Sam Splint" or equivalent (to splint sprained or broken body parts)
"Water Gel" (soothes burned body parts)
Ibuprofen (helps with swollen body parts)
1-2 rolls medical tape (holds bandages in place)
tube of glucose (for low blood sugar)
Waterless hand cleaner/sanitizer (cleans dirty body parts)

Take a first aid class

The red cross list is good..increase the amounts if you have space. I'm a big fan of storing the supplies in zip-loc bags to protect them from moisture.

CCATLETT1984

One good thing to add to the kit, that I brought to the GA rally (glad we didnt need it) is a "quick clot" bandage. Its a compression bandage that has a clotting agent already on it, they are great for a wound on an extremity that will not stop bleeding. Cabela's sells them, as would most larger "outdoors" stores.

steelandcanvas

Quite the interesting thread Gimp, thanks for bringing this to our attention. I always like to have some "Steri-Strips" or butterfles in the kit. In my survival pack, I have a few packages of sutures, I'm not Rambo, but if I had to, I could sew myself up. A little extreme, but you never know.

gimpyrobb

In case anyone is looking for them, USMCFrank has some real nice tourniquet straps available. Frank, I hope I am not stepping on any toes.

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Get the Quick Clot Combat Gauze.. Much easier to use.. Even a kid can figure it out..
I sell TONS of it to mil and civilans alike.

EO2NMCB

I'd add to the list of a pocket mask. Usefull for cpr if there is a injury to the face, you can still get a air tight seal, also has the hook up for O2.

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
Well Being a Combat Lifesaver I have a bag that contains everything I need to save your life short of an EKG or heart start cart. The number one killer is bleed out so I have one and sometimes two bags of sterile saline solution and the needles and hoses and clamps to make them work. In Iraq I even had some moriphine to kill the pain. I highly recommend taking a good CLS equivilent course and be ready to save a life and yes my bag has two turniquetts and two quick clots as well.

Oldvw2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Get the Quick Clot Combat Gauze.. Much easier to use.. Even a kid can figure it out..
I sell TONS of it to mil and civilans alike.
+1 for the QuikClot http://www.quikclot.com/

We've stocked the original version at the plant clinic for several years as well as the newer gauze versions in our first responder packs.

I now keep some at home and even carry one in my hunting coat when out in the woods.
Chad

m35tech

I have alteast 2 first aid kits per person for a full disaster, to cover for all types of ailments, I carry small units in the vehicle "personal style" and a larger Molle Pack style, and have a molle pack and large First Responder style for Home.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks