• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Cab Hard Top Question

TACMED

Ok here we go again. All the pics of Hardtops that I have seen on here shows that the "Artic" tops have round windows.
A freind of mine has a parts M37 with Hard top, it looks original however it has a rectangular window. I ask him about it and he said
it might be canadian, anyone know if this is true? :banghead:

Longhunter7

TACMED,

There are a couple of different American hardtops! The newer style has a rectangular sliding rear window!

My 63' M37-B1 has a CCKW hardtop that was modified to fit the "37".

Gatnom

TACMED: I don't know if what yor friend says is true or not, but I have a Canadian M37 with an original arctic top and it has a sliding rectangular rear window. I've been told they are few and far between. May be some truth to the Canadian thing! Dave

da_sgt

TACMED,

I have a 100% original 1953 M37 with Artic top , it is the rectangle rear window! The oval window is a modified version. Most hard tops went to USAF rigs (keep the fly boys happy)! When I pulled my top off I could still see the "stratus blue" meant for the Air Force. My next question would be: You say you have a 53-M37-B1, but I'm pretty sure the B1 did'nt start until 1957?

da_sgt

Interesting? Most research I've done, and pictures I've seen is the opposite? I can say one thing for sure, the hard top on "my" M37 was on it from day One....I'm thinking that the limited number of tops made (mine is #922) forced others to use the CCKW top as a mod????

Longhunter7

da_sgt,

Do you know the history of the CCKW hardtop on the M37?

I am not sure if the hardtop on my 63' M37-B1 was installed by the Army, or if it was installed by the Fire Dept., that used it as a brush truck? :confused:

oddave715

The oval window tops are the cckw tops and have little metal pieces at the back of the cab so
that the two different shapes would seal as the cab of the cckw had a slightly different shape at
corners of the cab. A friend of mine had one on his M-37. Same friends dad has the rect window
top on his M-37 and his was marine corp.

wildrice

M37 hardtop Oval window gasket

I have a 1952 M37 with a CCKW steel hardtop. The rear window is broken. I can replace that, but I need to find a replacement rubber gasket for the CCKW oval window. Can any of you point me to a replacement gasket?

nattieleather

I have a 1952 M37 with a CCKW steel hardtop. The rear window is broken. I can replace that, but I need to find a replacement rubber gasket for the CCKW oval window. Can any of you point me to a replacement gasket?
Try any atuo glass shop they should have the gasket. Or a place like Glass Doctor which does home, commercial and auto glass they will have a bunch of different gaskets and can hook you up.

The round windows were CCKW modified tops and the square sliders are M37 originals.

majorhitt

I have a 54 Canadian with the hard top. this has the rectangle type window. It must be from the factory, It doesn't have any loops for the canvas top to tie to. My 51 M37 is a soft top it's the one I use for my avatar.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks