• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Availability of multifuel engine starter

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Before removing the starter from the 8x8 engine, I'd like to know what's out there, what's available, where and at what cost. The starter should be the same for all multifuel engines except for different brands.
I was pretty sure that the solenoid was the problem, but it now appears that the starter itself is in need of repair or replacement.

Kind of irritating that a system with so few components is so hard to diagnose with 100% certainty, then again, who want's to keep pushing the start button when it isn't working right...

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Bjorn, they are HEAVY! Shipping will be way up there. Miltrucks had some good takeouts for a good price. Send him a PM or email on his website.

dabtl

The local generator/starter repair shop matched my starter bolt pattern to a common RV starter. $200 bucks with a guarantee of performance. Works like a champ.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Shoot, for 200 you may as well double it and get a spare motor and just use a used one and then have alot of spare parts. :wink:

tmbrwolf

Any GOOD auto electrical shop should be able to repair / rebuild the starter, 24V components are available. )Cat heavy equipment use a similar starter)

mcmullag

starter start

Bjorn,
There is a publication out there that has adds in it for the part you are asking about, with prices, and it may help you. I don't know if you've heard of it.

'Military Vehicles Magazine'

: ) sorry, just couldn't resist the urge to give you some trouble.

Glen

poppop

RE: starter start

Bjorn, my starter repairman told me he could build me a starter out of a heavy truck starter. Many large diesels have the same head and bolt pattern.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for all suggestions! A new starter is nowhere to be seen in my budget, but I do have stuff to trade. :)

The towbar may be spoken for, so if there is any interest in it, I'll have to check first.
The alternator came from my parts multifuel engine and was taken apart for an article I started to prepare, it may be okay, but the shaft is frozen. The installation kit would go with it and it's NOS.
I don't know the application for the 12v starter, but it has the same bolt pattern as the multifuel starter has. The solenoid is marked "12vdc" but no tags to go by.

Attachments

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Okay kipman, I need to check and will get back with you.
Do you have a starter ready to go? You know how heavy the towbar is, right, more or less pickup only.

kipman

It will be a steel soldiers hand off, OK we may as well start this now, need to little starter to cranetruck. Do not care when the towbar gets to me.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Dang, that was quick. I'd have done that trade and have pickup shipping available. Guess i'd be the backup. :wink:

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks Jim, good people on this site, for sure...
After I get this starter on the 8x8 checked out, I will be able to submit my "Starter system" article to Military Vehicles Magazine. :)

Anybody have any clue to where a 12 volt starter may have been used with the multifuel bolt pattern (image above)?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks