• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

100% used motor oil fuel.

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wondered what would happen if I used 100% used motor oil(UMO) as fuel. I was done to 2 inches of fuel in the tank(by the way, don't park on hills). That was about 75% UMO. So went ahead and added about 35 gallons of oil, leaving myself enough room to thin it with gas or diesel if it wouldn't run right.

So took it out for about a 10 mile drive. If I didn't know the truck, I wouldn't have noticed anything. Temps on the pyro were 25-50 degrees down. Power was about the same. Engine runs little quieter. I plan to drive to work tomorrow, about 20 miles, and see what happens. If it runs the same, I plan to keep running straight UMO.

I've tried this other trick before. Turn off the master switch(runs fuel pump) while driving, and see if there is any power loss. Figured this would tell me if the oil was too thick for the injector pump to pull from the tank. Before there was no difference in power, 5th gear at 2500rpm. With the oil in the tank it was the same, ran about a mile with the fuel pump off, and the pyro temp's didn't drop, or power.

Did I mention I hate buying diesel? :shock:

beaubeau

UMO

That was a good test you did you did with used motor oil, . It's AMAZING!!! I have run large amount of Hydrolic oil, USED, and my Deuce runs great. Now to find a good source of used oil is in order. Good luck, Phil

davesgmc

RE: UMO

used motor oil is in higher and higher demand these days. I run an automotive shop here in KAnsas City and we have people fighting over buying our used motor oil! The last time I sold it I got $1.35 per gallon for the stuff!!!!
I can remember it wasnt but a few years ago taht you paid about taht to get rid of it, now they are paying us for it?

I put a lock on the used motor oil tank that is stored outside, when i can sell a few hundred gallons and make a few hundred bucks, i sure will!

I havent yet tried running any ammounts in my 5 ton (it has a 6-71 detroit in it currently) not being a milti fuel designed engine, i am a little wary of trying it. I may juust wait til the tank gets real low and put 5 gallons or so in mixed 50/50 and see how it runs. if its bad i can always think it out and hopefully i wont end up with 50 plus gallons of ruined diesel fuel.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!

Dave, in doing research for my wmo filtering, ALOT of ford guys with IDI motors are running up to 90% wmo in their trucks. They filter down to 5micron. You should be fine.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Stretch, How bad did it smoke?

Gimpy, I've thought about running my Dodge Cummins on a WMO mix but I haven't heard of anybody running it in anything but a multifuel. Time to do some more research.

sermis

My Scientific research I did was to fill the tank with WMO and take off down the road. Fuel would cut out and then go. I came back to the house and added some jet A to the mix, maybe 10 to 15 gallons to the 50. Ran just fine. I noticed that I could smell paint from the exhaust which I did not smell before. HOTTER I also noticed the exhaust and turbo had a burnt rust coating on the outside but my operating temp hit 240 on an 80 mile round trip. Getting the radiator roded and cleaned. I think the EGT is hotter with WMO than diesel. I will add a piro before the turbo sometime soon.

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter

The injector pump is 'delicate'. Best to have clean oil, as few particles as possible and as small as possible.

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I will have to stick my head out the window next time I drive, but at idle it was the same. I didn't notice any more smoke than usual driving.

One problem could be cold temperatures. I'm thinking any temps below 40 degrees could cause some problems.

halftrack

So what I am hearing is that I can start dumping my motor oil from my truck and wife's car into my deuce's fuel tank with a slight mixture. Maybe 75% UMO and 25% diesel? I am so excited now to change the oil in my relative's cars now!

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Re: RE: UMO

OPCOM said:
The injector pump is 'delicate'. Best to have clean oil, as few particles as possible and as small as possible.
Yes, but since the stock fuel filter only removes particles down to 10 micron, does this mean that anything smaller than that (say, WMO with 5 micron particles in it) would be okay for the injectors and the injector pump? I'm going to filter mine down to 1 micron just to be on the safe side....

Stretch, we salute you in your efforts to get a deuce running 100% free fuel! Around here, you can get as much used motor oil as you want, haul it away, no cost. I'm not sure if I would run 100% WMO in my deuce engine, maybe 50% or so, but with the price of diesel, we don't blame you one bit getting the most out of your truck!

gimpyrobb

Jason, yes you are correct. I have been cutting mine with 10% gas so it pumps through the pre-filter system first.

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well I got up this morning, and starting the truck was interesting. When I did the test run yesterday, the pump still had the thinner stuff in it. Today with the pure oil, it started then stalled, similar to a 15 degree cold start. With a little throttle, it started right up and idled. Thinking colder temps will make the oil to thick to use.

On the smoke, there is no difference going down the road. At idle, a light blue smoke, ane if it's been run, no smoke.

I looked at those threads, some good info there Gimpy. Need to talk to my dad, he's running a dual tank 6.9l ford truck for work.

Dennis

SpruceDeuce

would it be possible to run the UMO mixed with diesel if my fuel density compensator has been bypassed? i would love to be able to add UMO to the diesel in the tank to cut down costs of driving the deuce

gimpyrobb

Spruce, yes. The MOTOR is a multifuel. The FDC keeps power output the same for different btu ratings of oil/gas/diesel. There are some exceptions, like wvo as Bjorn has found out, but I wouldn't worry. My wrecker has the fdc bypassed and I have run up to 75% wmo in it.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm running somewhere in the area of 80% UMO and the balance is gas, diesel, 10 yr old diesel and a few gallions of methanol for good measure. Neither deuce complains. It gets pumped very slowly through a 1970XD filter (Thanks Mike). Now that the deuce is the cheapest vehicle to operate, it gets used daily despite the 900 degree weather.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks