• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Can I get an opinion or several on this lil generator

hummer4x4guy

this is a 1500w unit that will put out about 3500w has lots of new parts. and a new canvas cover.
Since I know nothing about these things is this price decent if it runs well? I am not in need of one at all really. Just figured it goes well with the humvee.
Thanks to all who reply or have good bits of info on things to look for in a generator before buying.
Joel

Attachments

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Actually it will be closer to 2000 watts. This is the MEP-015A if its the 120V unit. TM 5-6115-323-14. It's powered by the Military Standard 2A016 engine which is 16 CI and a 2 cylinder. They are a nice little genset. My old one would start and run a 5000BTU window shaker A/C. The problem is starting. They have a wrap a rope starter so every time you need to wrap that dang rope to start it. It does have a fuel pump so you can draw fuel from an external source. I always kept a can of starting fluid near by so it would start quicker. The rope thing is what drove me away from the MEP-015A gensets. BTW, the manuals are available here.

Jones

1500w with a 3500w peak isn't much output if you're running much-- that's only about 15 amps. The 3500w is there to handle the start-up spike on certain electrical appliances and won't be continuous. One power tool, a hair dryer or small appliance can eat up that output pretty quickly so don't plan on welding with it. These small gensets were usually intended for back-up power for comm. gear so you didn't run the vehicle batteries down if parked for any length of time and as such would be a nice accessory for your HMMWV if that's what you're building up.
A 5000w (or up) genset with both 110vac and 220vac output might be more useful in the field.
Without going overboard and getting something that you have to tow behind; remember that the higher the output, the less work the genset has to do to keep up with demand.
Kinda like having your engine run 3,000 rpm just to keep up with traffic, or loaf along at 1,800.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Heck I think they have a ton they are selling. If you buy 100 of them, the price is $10,000. Sold AS IS. They do have trailer loads of those gensets.

Joel, they are good gensets, but they will be noisy compared to a modern Honda or similar genset.

deuceman51

I would be very doubtful about the 3500W output on a 1500W gen set. I have 2 of them and mine don't do that good. I know that the 1500W rating is at mountain altitude, but I think someone is giving you a selling ploy which isn't true. They are good gen sets if you want something small to run a few tools or some lights, but they won't do much more than that. Mine barely ran my 110V wire welder. How much are they asking for it?

hummer4x4guy

OK so I am thinking rope start and winding it each time can be a pain....
It isnt exactly a work horse in a small package...
Dual power output better then singular..
Noise.
Thanks for the 300.00 savings guys!
Anyone wana sell something cooler for 300.00 LOL

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks