• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hey, Bjorn, Help! Pt. 2

dabtl

OK, I got the headlights working just right. I have the marker lights working. I put on a new flasher and new turn signal switch.

STILL NO TURN SIGNALS! I have put new internal/external washers on the light bases and the flasher. Still no flashing turn signal. No light on the turn signal switch either.

Any good ideas? :(

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hmmm...bench test the flasher, apply 24 volts to "B", ground "C" and you should have a intermittent output on "A". Connect a lightbulb from "A" to ground and it should blink at a rate of about 80 times per minute.
The lamp on the switch is grounded via the clamp, so make sure it's grounded to the steering column.

dabtl

I take it that IF both units are working, my problem is still a ground probably in one or the other, blinker or turn signal switch.

I am doing pretty good for a guy who never read a diagram or held a multimeter, till I started reading your posts. :D

SpruceDeuce

i have a very similar problem and dont know the problem either, when i turn on the turn signal it does not blink only comes on solid, i hooked up another flasher and it flashed a few times and then became solid light again with no blinking??? when i put the 4 ways on both markers become solid on

any ideas??

dabtl

Re: RE: Hey, Bjorn, Help! Pt. 2

cranetruck said:
You are doing great! Make sure the ground wire from the flasher unit (marked "C") is grounded, since the case of the unit is not.
I am going to sand down the steering column for a good connection on the turn signal and sand down the inner fender panel around the mounting hole for the flasher. New internal/external star washers and new bolts should do the trick on the flasher. I will see what happens shortly.

dabtl

Re: RE: Re: RE: Hey, Bjorn, Help! Pt. 2

cranetruck said:
:)
Now you are on my wavelength...make sure the fender is grounded too...etc etc.
DANG! More bolts to clean/replace! :shock:

Update from the front: I changed out the turn signal to my other deuce. That first deuce had an issue with the right rear light blinking on turns but not flashing in unison with the other three. I found a post in the electrical section about a turn signal having one contact making intermittent contact or none. The author took the turn signal apart, raised the contact a small amount and solved the problem. I got to thinking that perhaps the turn signal I had removed second deuce was good, but not flashing, and substituted it for the first truck's signal switch. It worked like a champ on turn signals and all flashing. So, now I can take apart the turn signal from the first deuce and fix that problem. :D Now, I have a spare!

Now back to the flasher grounds on the second deuce. :cry:

badgmc56

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Hey, Bjorn, Help! Pt. 2

Any electrical componant that is bolted steel to steel ,lights,flashers ect. should have a star washer behind it. This way when you are trouble shooting you can be certain that you have a good ground. Even if it is not needed for a ground, it locks the bolt,nut in place.

dabtl

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Hey, Bjorn, Help! Pt. 2

Apparently, they use of the internal/external star washer is ignored at least some of the time. I replace them as I go.

I bought the internal/external star washers from Grainger Supply. Good folks to deal with.

FINAL weekend update. Chasing shorts led to the rear crossmember. It is badly bent and in the process cut into the harness, severing the connection to the trailer plug. Now, the turn signal placed in the left turn position lights the rear right side, non-flashing, signal and vice versa on the right turn position. At the neutral position, both rear turn lights are on and not flashing.

I will replace the rear cross member and replace the rear harness in October, when it is cooler.

I do have brake lights and headlights, however.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks