• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Looking at a Backhoe?

rumplecat

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have found the wrecker is versitle but is little help digging footings for the new shop, I need a backhoe and I found one about 45 min. away, it is a Ford 3400, what should I look for in a well used backhoe, I guess it is a 70's model, "but in real good shape. very tight" Any pointers are welcome. Hours are unknown and he is asking $6800.
Thanks,
James G.

Ironhorse

As far as backhoe specific parts, I'd say leaking cylinders, worn pivot pins and a weak pump would be the areas of concern. Rebuilding cylinders isn't cheap and you might be surprised how quick those hardened steel pins and bushing add up. :shock: Also, check for parts availability. It shouldn't be a problem ,but it's better to find out beforehand.

For what it's worth, my dealer told me several years ago that any machine that runs and digs is worth $5k.

scooter01922

well, as i'm sure your aware machinery holds it value pretty well. If its good and solid you should be able to do all your tasks and resell for about the same as what you got it for. Not much really special to look at. Make sure it starts and runs well without much blowby. Take her for a spin and try out as many gears as you can, under load if possible, and listen for anything abnormal. If it has a reverser make sure that it works well with a definitive in and out without too much lag in between the two. No major leaks in the hydraulics and good power without too much slop in the pins. If its got some time on it and it probably does there will most likely be a few welds here and there. As long as they look solid and not half assed it shouldn't be too much of a concern. Most importantly take lots of pics for us to see :D

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
If you are serious about buying it, then you could call your local equipment repair place and see if one of their field techs can inspect it for you. The seller should be fine with that if they have nothing to hide.

ygmir

I've owned several old backhoes, never having the money for new ones.......
Older Fords can be hard to find some parts for.
expect sloppy pins/bushings. Some oil, both types, leaks.
Mostly, check hydraulic pressure and volume.
One way I do it is to see how fast the backhoe goes out and back, fully, and swings side to side. It should move out fairly fast, under 10 sec to fully extend, and swing rapidly enough to shake the heck out of you sideways........
Also, it should pick the front off the ground by digging a hole and pulling from the bottom up, like digging.
And, check these things with it well warmed up.

the usual for all vehicles, start, running temp, smoke, brakes, clutch/shuttle.

6800 seems fairly steep, unless it's really clean.
I got a pretty good for it's age Case 580 Super E for 4500............

those are my thoughts anyway.....
good luck
Henry

pa.rich

Take some time to dig with it. With a machine that old its likely that many things need work. There usually are leaks but mostly the hydraulics and engine should be the most concern.I had a Ford 4500 backhoe that was a clunker but it did the job. The power steering I could not get to work. Had to put a pump on it and that was $700.The other pain with them is the hoses on the rear boom. They are in a cluster and hard to replace. Some go to conduits that are inside, so that can be a pain to work on.If it needs something in particular, check out what parts will cost to fix it. Parts are very high these days for anything.I bought a set of filters for my Kubota and they were over 200. I was shocked. I called couple other dealers and all were in that ballpark. Equipment for the do it yourselfer is expensive. When you use it commercially, at least you have some money coming in. Sometimes it is cheaper to just have someone do it for you if it is just a small one time deal to do. If you are going to use it every week, it is cheaper to have your own and more convienient to have the freedom to work it when you have time and not take time off from work at someone elses schedule. I would never get another backhoe, I like the excavators. But they have no front end loaders. Think about it.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've got a MF 40 hoe. It's a low hour machine but has sat outside a weathered a good bit. Age and weather is hard on the cyl. seals and hoses. Replacing hoses can add up ( a backhoe has a bunch) but if you can replace the cyl. seals yourself they arn't that bad. I just rebuilt my boom cyl. for $30 bucks. I get my seals from a hyd. place witch is much cheaper than the dealer.

supermechanic

I have much the same machine.
I have had it for almost 20 years.
If you are good with tools and have some common sense( Which seams to be not so common these days) the tractor will be ok for you.
Ford-New Holland dealers have all of the usual pieces for this machine.
Any tractor entering it's fourth decade will have some problems, some you will learn to work with, some you will learn to work around, and some will need to be fixed.
See if a trial can be made for you to use it for a week or two.
The price seems high, but scrap steel is high now also, so there maybe some parrallel there.

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Many dealers can run the serial number and tell you if it is stolen, what major service items it has had, etc... My brother ran the serial number from his John Deere and found out all sorts of interesting stuff before he bought it.

rumplecat

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Gas Engine

I failed to mention it has a gas not diesel engine, any special items to check other than the usual hard starting, smoke, no power?
James G.

supermechanic

gas motor is a good thing, mine will start at below zero tempatures easily.
coupler for hydraulic pump can be wear item, look for rusty streaks, it should have some lube for the splines.
clutch is a bear to replace, if it is good, the engine should stall if you engage the clutch in high gear, with brakes applied.
brakes are not the oil bath type, tractor has a habit of trying to make them so.
oily brake shoes arn't a big deal, clean them with gas, get new axel seals.
Power steering pump will puke oil in your lap when the seal goes bad at the power assist valve.
fuel pump is a pain to get to, I added an aftermarket electric job.
there is a filter for the hydraulic oil in the bottom of the tank, seems most everyone never gets changed untill the pump cavitates due to clogged filter.
if i come up with anythying else, i'll post it.
hope this helps.

Sephirothq

I have a 580b case machine that i got at a half decent price in my mind. Cases are popular enough to be able to get parts for pretty easy. I would either go with a john deere or a case if i was getting an older machine. I would stay away from ford and international. But this is just me. I have had good luck with my case. I have to rebuild the brakes on it but that wasn't too bad. I have a 188 diesel that will start in the very cold now that i got the intake heater to work. Worst case is to give it a little sniff of ether. but to sum up I would get a case or a john deere. Look on ebay or craigslist of prices and models.

zak

The 4500(diesel model) has a short driveshaft between the motor and the hyd pump. If a ujoint goes the shaft will take out the radiator. I don't know if the gas model is the same. This series tractor was mostly a farm tractor with the three point hitch. All that was taken off and the back hoe attachment was added. I had a used one a long time ago, built two houses and several septic systems and never had a major problem. The worst was replacing the rear hoses like pa.rich said, but I never had to replace a clutch. It was a good machine for me. Check for wear and grease it often. And if I remember right the 3400 and 4400 were the gas models and 3500 and 4500 were the diesel ones.

OSO

I used to operate a 3400 back in 1973 . It was a 1972 model . 3 cylinder gas motor, made in England. Had a line break at a tee fitting metal pipe had to have repaired ,at a blacksmith shop back in the day.Small machine but it still dug good .The price is kind of steep ,for that size of machine. Try it out see how it works dig some trenches get it hot!! Then see if it will lift itself up with both buckets ,at the same time ,or try to walk with the buckets . Only saying that because I got stuck plenty enough time in the spring only 2 wheel drive. :oops:

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
For the MV tie in that's my Ford (New Holland) behind my Deuce.

It is a '92 and has the three cyl diesel in it. It's the 455 and other than some cosmetic things it is a good machine. I have put about 30-35 hours on it in 2.5 years.

It cost north of $13k and everyone who has seen it say that's correct for that machine.

Keep yours inside if possible. I can only put mine inside in the winter until the new barn goes up.

Having one saves time and money in rentals or borrowing.

If I want a new Deuce path or tree removed I just do it.

bottleworks

supermechanic said:
there is a filter for the hydraulic oil in the bottom of the tank, seems most everyone never gets changed untill the pump cavitates due to clogged filter.
I have a Ford 3500 Backhoe...Didn't know about the filter... How to you access this filter? The tank is part of the frame structure. Pictures? Thanks

rumplecat

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ford 4500

Found another Backhoe this one is a Ford 4500, talked to the owner, it starts, drives and stops, backhoe and front end loader both work fine, it is a diesel. Problems, a few small leaks, right brake drags a little if driven at road speeds for a mile or more. He is selling because his vision has gotten pretty bad and his wife won't let him use it anymore and he can use the money. Anything different I should look for on the 4500 vs the 3400, other than the fact that it is a diesel vs. a gasser?
Thanks,
James G.

PS I am going to look at it tomorrow.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: Ford 4500

If it comes down to a diesel or gas I would prefer diesel if all other things are equal.

Mine only has a 3-cylinder diesel in it and does what I need.

Ford 455C made in Holland about 16 years old.

rumplecat

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Me Too

The diesel is two grand cheaper than the gasser and about fifty miles closer, the diesel owner is the actual owner where as the guy with the gasser is an equipment dealer. If the guy tomorrow will go for 4K I will have a backhoe this time tomorrow!
Thanks for the Help.
James G.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks