• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Project deuce and a half..

5tonjeepman

Hey guys..

Still looking for technical help, I'm looking for a deuce I can cut-down, meaning removing the rear set of duels-frame ending up with 4-wheels total..
A radical 4X4.. I live in Northern New Hampshire in the White-Mountains..
I can't find a chassis cab set-up anywhere here?! I found one I liked on-line here but it's in North Dakota, I believe?! :-(((((((((((((( Meaning it's built the way i wanted mine.. I would like to find one maybe 1960-1970-ish..
I just like the nose of that type of truck..

If someone knows someone who has one or knows where I can find such a thing cheap/free, it'll mean a finders fee for the one who finds the one I buy..
Plus gets it to my house.. I'm selling my truck so I'll have about a grand for the truck and @$500.00 finders-fee and delivery settlement for the lucky one..
I'm a retired army vet and my love and knowledge of those trucks along with some help from you all I might get my long awaited dream to come true..
Owning, building and driving my own truck...

My wife is involved with it so I'm well supported on the home-front just need technical and logistical support from fellow iron loving comrades..
Thank You, I hope someone helps.. :))))

DanMartin

Do a search for "bobbed deuce". There's tons of them already done up, and some are for sale. Idaho motor pool will do all of the work for you for like $2K, including an M101 bed attached.

It's actually easy to do with stock parts and a little know-how.

Please if you do decide to do this, don't cut up a rare or odd M44 series truck...get a standard M35A2 multifuel from the 70's and bob it. Don't cut up a 50's gasser firetruck, or decon unit...that's a waste.

Keep us posted on your project...

5tonjeepman

Hi Dan..

I do want a M35A2.. I'm not the butcher of baghdad, don't make me out to be..:-((( I love those old trucks just as much as all of you..
I'm in the North-eastern portion of the USA.. I'm no-where near Idaho.. I'm in NH..:) All I need is a chassis-cab deuce and a half, someone to tell me how to remove the dog-bones and put on leaf-springs.. Shorten the frame, remove the middle duels and attach the rear set but make'em singles.. I have a pic of exactly what I want to do and how I want it to turn-out.. I just need a little support with technicals and logistics..

5tonjeepman

Hi Dan..

I do want a M35A2.. I'm not the butcher of baghdad, don't make me out to be..:-((( I love those old trucks just as much as all of you..
I'm in the North-eastern portion of the USA.. I'm no-where near Idaho.. I'm in NH..:) All I need is a chassis-cab deuce and a half, someone to tell me how to remove the dog-bones and put on leaf-springs.. Shorten the frame, remove the middle duels and attach the rear set but make'em singles.. I have a pic of exactly what I want to do and how I want it to turn-out.. I just need a little support with technicals and logistics..

Alredneck

Banned
Im pretty sure if yo use the search tool youll find a bunch of info plus pics on how to bob a deuce!

hey 5tonjeepman. contact FFemt14 he is a member on here. we built him a bobbed deuce and he is from NH! i imagine he wont have a problem showing off his truck to you. We drove it from AL to NH to him and hes very happy with it. I know you wanta build your own but maybe you can meet up with him and get a hands on look at it. IT has oversized tires and ODiron wheels on it. Also as others have said. do a search on SS there is alot of info.

SasquatchSanta

Unless you've got access to the lifting equipment, tools and friends that will lend a hand you may be better off buying a truck that is already bobbed.

M35s are great trucks but everything about them is heavy.

Just my 2-cents worth.

Good luck.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Another point I'm compelled to make is this. Unless you find a barn truck somewhere, chances are diminishing of finding many $1000 trucks with the way scrap prices are. I suggest sending an email to rampartsllc@aol.com and see if he has a line on one or a spare he's selling, he's in Barton VT. If he doesn't have one, he knows where they are. I can summarize the job in a few sentences as far as the meat and potatos. Obvious steps like taking the bed off will be assumed. The entire rear suspension assy can be removed by cutting off all the rivets on the side plates and bottom. Rear crossmembers can be removed in the same fashion. From there you can shorten your frame to the length you want. Add a pair of deuce front springs with hangars to the frame and put it all back together. Lots of cutting, drilling and the such but can be done with minimal equipment except the heavy lifting equipment.

Rolling_Eudaimonia

Re: RE: Project deuce and a half..

Offroadfabworks said:
hey 5tonjeepman. contact FFemt14 he is a member on here. we built him a bobbed deuce and he is from NH! i imagine he wont have a problem showing off his truck to you. We drove it from AL to NH to him and hes very happy with it. I know you wanta build your own but maybe you can meet up with him and get a hands on look at it. IT has oversized tires and ODiron wheels on it. Also as others have said. do a search on SS there is alot of info.
But isn't that why they are great trucks? The heavy duty of the nature of the truck is what makes it worth buying in the first place???

Thats' a nice setup, on your deuce, but how did you balance out the airflow from the second air-cleaner with only a single turbo-plenum? Or is the second air-intake just a dummy one?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks