• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Just picked up a 406

tatra813

I just bought a 406 diesel mog today, I dont have it home yet so pics will come soon. I am still learning about mogs but this one has the ag tires and looks awsome. The guy a got it from brought it over from Holland when he moved here. He has had the entire frame gearboxes etc sand blasted and painted it is pretty nice. It has pto front and back, although the front one is missing the shaft. It has hydraulics front and back. It has 20 speeds, cab is in very nice shape, but interior could use being redone.
I need the 4 way hydraulic cylinder for the bed to tilt, anyone have leads for one?

It fired up very nicely and the engine ran excellent. Im sure I will find some problems when I get it home, but I will find out. The e-brake doesn t work, anyone have info on fixing that?

Thanks

I paid 12k I think that was a fair price?

I also need a fuel cap. Anyone have lead on workshop manual?
I think this one is really set up as a tractor.
The rear bed is missing but it does have the bottom platform with the hinges etc for tilting the bed less the cylinder. Any leads on a bed?

Thanks in advance

tatra813

The truck currently has agg tires on it and I would like to install a new set, any sources? are mog tire sizes hard to come by, Ive seen on some forums guys using super swamper irok tires (standard size)? What about increasing the size a bit to help with top end?

I also want a front and rear winch, either hydraulic since the hydraulics are there or a warn 15k 24v winch. Any suggestions? or sources?

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Contact Expeditions Imports in Cali, Eurotruck Importers in GA, or EuroTech Services just down the coast in OR. A lot of those parts you mention would kill you with shipping so that's where EuroTech would be nice. Jim Ince is a very nice guy too.

$12k is a good price for a running, driving diesel Mog.

The metric tires are available through the above dealers. Continental makes some nice ones. None of them are cheap. There are some after-market tires that will fit, but they can greatly diminish your load capacity. You need to decide what kind of work or driving you will be doing with it before buying tires. It definitely sounds like this one was set up for ag use. The 20 speed cascade box is neat, but you won't use many of those gears if you are just driving it on the street. The super low gears are handy for running farm implements at high PTO speed, but low wheel speed. It will also help you creep and crawl over many a boulder. Don't get in a hurry since top speed will be around 45MPH. The 406 is a short wheelbase truck and the bigger the tires you run the more tippy it will be and more likely it will want to swap ends with you on slippery roads.

If you have 4 wheel disc brakes, I hope they are in good shape because they can be VERY expensive to overhaul. It's been a while since I have researched this, but I think it was possible at one time to spend $1000/wheel to overhaul the brakes.

The sites above can help you with a massive PTO winch or a hydraulic winch for either end.

You live is a great spot because you will be able to attend the Northwest Mogfest every year! It is a fantastic event. I know Mike Pop will chime in about that as he has been several times in his 1300.

Check out the Mog Mailing List for more information. Great bunch of folks on there too. Rocky Mountain Moggers is a another good site. Unimog.Net has some good info and a great Mog classifieds section with all sorts of cool parts for your truck.

Good luck with your project. I can't wait to see and hear more about it when you get it home.

Djfreema

In Memorial
In Memorial
I love the 406 Mogs. Cant wait to see pics. Definately join the mog mailing list, great group of helpful guys. I have had great dealing with Scott at Expedition Imports as his customer service is top notch. IIRC tires are a bit pricey, but then again prices for Unimog parts aren't like surplus duece parts.

tatra813

steelsoldiers said:
Contact Expeditions Imports in Cali, Eurotruck Importers in GA, or EuroTech Services just down the coast in OR. A lot of those parts you mention would kill you with shipping so that's where EuroTech would be nice. Jim Ince is a very nice guy too.

$12k is a good price for a running, driving diesel Mog.

The metric tires are available through the above dealers. Continental makes some nice ones. None of them are cheap. There are some after-market tires that will fit, but they can greatly diminish your load capacity. You need to decide what kind of work or driving you will be doing with it before buying tires. It definitely sounds like this one was set up for ag use. The 20 speed cascade box is neat, but you won't use many of those gears if you are just driving it on the street. The super low gears are handy for running farm implements at high PTO speed, but low wheel speed. It will also help you creep and crawl over many a boulder. Don't get in a hurry since top speed will be around 45MPH. The 406 is a short wheelbase truck and the bigger the tires you run the more tippy it will be and more likely it will want to swap ends with you on slippery roads.

If you have 4 wheel disc brakes, I hope they are in good shape because they can be VERY expensive to overhaul. It's been a while since I have researched this, but I think it was possible at one time to spend $1000/wheel to overhaul the brakes.

The sites above can help you with a massive PTO winch or a hydraulic winch for either end.

You live is a great spot because you will be able to attend the Northwest Mogfest every year! It is a fantastic event. I know Mike Pop will chime in about that as he has been several times in his 1300.

Check out the Mog Mailing List for more information. Great bunch of folks on there too. Rocky Mountain Moggers is a another good site. Unimog.Net has some good info and a great Mog classifieds section with all sorts of cool parts for your truck.

Good luck with your project. I can't wait to see and hear more about it when you get it home.

The mog has drum brakes, the guy said it was the last year of the drum brakes, I was thinking I would prefer discs but may be they re more of a pain than they are worth?

tennmogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Congrats on the 406! I like these trucks, too. I also prefer drum brakes because they are cheaper and easier to work on. The cups are not metric so you can find them at a good auto parts house. Might not need them because the brakes on these wear slowly. Might have to disassemble, clean, reassemble the brakes, but that's cheap...and educational. BTW, there was no "cutoff" year for drum brakes. Either were available to order. Early models had drum standard, disc optional. Eventually it became Disc standard, drum optional....maybe what PO was referring to. The brake shoes can be relined if needed.

Great post from Chris.

I run 12.5 x 20 Michelin XL radials for on the road. Can find these surplus if you really keep your eyes open. Ditto for 14.5's (a little big IMHO but will get the road speed up to 50-ish.

First job (unless PO was really attentive) is fluids change out. Be sure all seals are good, and that the tranny does not leak fluid into the diffs (another seal).

The 20 speeds are fun. You can split shift between road gear and intermediate and sound like a "big truck" with lots of gears. Just be sure the cascade is in 'intermediate', not crawler or supercrawler. :-D

The price you paid is very reasonable.

The 4 stage cylinder for the dumper is rare. Expect to pay $2k if you find one.

Winches are quite easy if you go Hydraulic (my preference). Is your truck a Case MB-4/94 version? Does it have a big honking roll bar behind the cab? Probably not if it has the dump bed. I ask because I have a Deuce winch mount for my 406, mounts on the rear implement hangers of the Case deck. I also have a hydraulic winch set up for the implement mount up front (can send pictures).

Looking forward to pictures.

Bob

Wolf.Dose

All Unimogs had drum brakes until about 1973. Then Unimog had to change to discs. The drum brakes could not offer the required deceleratin required by ECE R13 or 71/320 EEC. The Drums are old StVZO which is German Road homologation requirements.
So it is not possible to change from drums to discs withput changing basecally the axles. Every thing else is more expensive. The parts of rebuilding an axle to dics cost more than a good used one. And the air supply also has to be changed. Basically it requires a clomplet revision of the air supply to the higher standard. I would not like to spend the money.
You said you got the Mog from someone who brought it from the Netherlands and it was equipped with AG-tires. This might be a unauthorized modification, for Dutch farmes (like most farmers of this world) did not care a lot about legal requirements. They fix a 16 kmh plate and thats it for them.

Tires must be able to carry the load of the truck. All this SuperSwamper etc. stuff is made for vehicles of half of the weight of a Mog. These tires will die due to overheat in a very short period of time.
Military tires are not the worst choise, if they have at least 10PR or can carry a load on hightways of at least 2 metric tons.
The 406's are no racing trucks. On the hightway better forget to look into your mirrors. Else you will find that you are the reason of the traffic jam mentioned in the radio.
And one more thing: A Mog never is perfect, however it brings you home in most of the cases. Even when other vehicles gave up allready due to the repair requirements.
Wolf from Germany

four_by_ken

Not sure I fully agree. The 406 drum brakes I have... I am pretty sure you can bolt on the entire disc brake setup from a similiar year 406.

I am just starting to dive deep into the Mogs, so I may not be right. But, I think this is the case.

spicergear

I think 'Wolf from Germany' is correct on the brake swap not being a simple on/off conversion. A buddy of mine also told me you're looking about $500 per caliper to rebuild and better hope that you don't have a bad join in a front axle or the price will be AMAZING...and not in the "oh, what a relief!" type of way- :wink:

MiniMan

The drum and disc brake axles have many, MANY differences. There are differences in shaft thicknesses, splines, etc. I can't see any way the disc brakes would bolt on to a set of drum brake axles.

saddamsnightmare

November 24th, 2012.

Normally I wouldn't buck Wolf Dose, the man knows Unimogs, as he is an automotive engineer of the old school in Germany. If your mog has drum brakes and you drive it sanely, using the gearboxes for most stops, you will probably never see a set of brake shoes go out in any reasonable time. I ordered spare linings and shoes when I bought the S404.114 back when I bought it in 2007 figuring I'd need them sooner then later...Well the parts guy whose holding my core fees for the shoes is about ready to get a hit man out on the job, and this is about 30,000 miles later. Unimogs do wear the linings, but they are so thick that you might use a set in a lifetime....And, Wolf knows what he knows very well, so go with his explaination and you'll be a happy mogger....The man is a jewel.
You'll enjoy your Mog, just drive it like you own it, not like you stole it!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks