• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Condition Codes?

Deuce_of_Spades

So I bid on my first GL item today. It was a trailer. According to what I could see in the pictures it look really nice. Unfortunately after I bid, I saw a "Condition" tab. I clicked on the tab and it said...

Condition Code H7

"Material which has been determined to be unserviceable and does not meet repair criteria; Type I shelf life material that has passed the expiration date, and Type II shelf life material that has passed the expiration date and cannot be extended. NOTE: Classify obsolete and excess material to its proper condition before consigning to the DRMO. DO NOT classify material in supply condition H unless it is truly unserviceable and does not meet repair criteria."

Is this telling me that this trailer, even though looking good in the pics is unusable? Did I just learn a lesson the hard way? Not finding the condition tab first? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
This subject has been covered in detail before and should be able to be found using the search. Bottom line, pay no attention to the condition codes especially when applied to equipment the military considers obsolete.

LibertyDeuce

The Condition Codes are arbitrary. I've bought general commodity items marked A4, but really should have been H7. My M109A3 which I just bought was listed as F7 - put two new batteries in, a radiator cap with two gallons of anti freeze ands he started right and drove a few short block before my mechanic gave her the once over with no further problems. Go figure!?

Enjoy Your Ride with Pride!
:D

LibertyDeuce

Did good grasshopper!! The yard guy at Mechanicsburg told me most trailers are good to go. Sometimes just a stuck brake or a shot bearing. Anyway for 90 bucks, don't sweat it. Not that you would scrap the trailer, but think of scrap metal value and you come out a winner. Just don't scrap it!!!

Enjoy Your Ride with Pride!
:D

saddamsnightmare

August 2nd, 2008.

Snatch the pebble from my hand and you shall be ready to go, Grasshopper. [thumbzup] The condition codes seem to have no relevance to the actual condition, good or bad, of the item in question. My 1971Kaiser Jeep M35A2 was "H-7'd", as was my M105A2 trailer.... Other then needing bed bows, cover and some minor repairs, the truck has been a substantial, dependable truck (ask BulldogMack13- it's his old truck); the M105A2 will need some minor rust cut outs in the side sills, and a new cover, other then that, it runs well, the brakes work and the machine does what it's designed to do. You could pull the trailer to a scrapyard and get more for it then you paid, so don't sweat it (and thenk the Chinese, who are buying all that scrap!). Sometimes you get the golden ring, and sometimes the bear gets you, it's just the way these things work.
The turning in units use the "H-7" code so they don't have to repair/rebuilt the unit back up to specification before the turn in. If they denominate it as an "A" condition, it has to be fit for immediate reissue, and any repairs to bring it to that condition are chargeable to the unit that's turning it in.... Bureaucrats hate giving some other unit or agency their money, so H-7 it is.... [thumbzup]

Good luck, do the maintenance and inspection, and you'll have a very hevy heavy duty trailer....

Sincerely,

Kyle F. McGrogan

1971 Kaiser Jeep M35A2 Wo/W "Saddam's Nightmare" Desert Storm and Vietnam Veteran Deuce "H-7'd"
1968 Johnson Corp M105A2 1-1/2 Ton Cargo Trailer "H-7'd"
1967 Hercules MEP023A Gas Gen-Set, A-4'd and a better machine you couldn't buy!!!!
1963 Swiss Army Cargo Unimog S404.114, 11,000KM and a worn out top, otherwise excellent!!!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks