• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

FM 20-22 Anybody got a copy?

Elwenil

Ok, I'm posting this in the 5 ton forum since the FM 20-22 Vehicle Recovery Operations manual mainly pertains to the 5 ton wreckers. I have looked all over the place and can't seem to find a copy of this online, except to purchase. Specifically I am looking for something in the range of the July '70 publication or any of them that would have info regarding towing the M715. Apparently, the 715 series cannot be flat towed, according to the Towbar Manual, and I was just looking for more info concerning that, and any specifics relating to how the 715s should be towed vs. flat towing. Thanks for any help, in advance.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Lanty, whoever would have such a manual dealing with recovery operations? Today is your not so lucky day. I have the 1962 version in my police car outside. Since there were no M715s in 62, I didn;t brave the wind and rain to get it. I also have the Sept 90 version of the FM20-22. I went through it as well. It had no specific information relating to the M715. It does have some other cool stuff though. I then went rummaging through the nightstand near my bed and came up with FM20-22 dated July 70. Front to back there was no mention of restrictions on towing the M715. It's just not there. Have you read the operations manual for the 715? All my research has led me to the -10 or -14 for towing info, at least this hold true for the deuces, 5 tons, M880s, CUCVs, and M151 series. I don't have any 715 materials to check. Sorry bro!

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Let me add this, if there are any issues with towing the M715 it will lie in the transfer case or trans oiling issues. There is just nothing else it can really be except that.

Elwenil

Thanks, Kenny, I should have known that you might have a copy of it, lol. I think the transfer case oiling is ok when towing, but I'm sure the rules still apply to pulling the shafts if exceeding a certain speed, per the manual. We just had a discussion going on on The M715 Zone about flat towing after an incident of the brakes self energizing on one such truck. The Towbar manual (same as the one here at SS) has a warning on the second or third page about not being able to flat tow the 715 series trucks, that they have to be towed with a wrecker per the instructions in the FM 20-22. I was just wondering if the FM gave any more details on it. So far Jon at The Zone has come up with the steering box not liking to have reverse input from the wheels and it killing the steering box. This is true of the civilian models also with the same steering box. I was just wondering if the 20-22 went into any more detail on the reasons why the M715 can't be flat towed. Thanks for looking.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thats a good thought. I was thinking maybe ot was because of a tracking issue too. Luckly they are so small you can pop em right up on a stretcher (trailer).

1ton

[table cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="98%" align=center border=0]
[tr ][td class=msgThreadInfo vAlign=bottom noWrap height=20]
Posted Today 7:46 PM (GMT -5) [/td][td class=msgThreadInfo style="BORDER-RIGHT: buttonshadow 1px outset" vAlign=bottom noWrap align=right height=20][/td][/tr][tr ][td class=msgThread2 style="BORDER-RIGHT: buttonshadow 1px outset; HEIGHT: 170px" vAlign=top colSpan=2]<TABLE height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0>

<TR>
<TD class=msgThread2 vAlign=top height="100%">Just for inquiring minds here is the problem and soultion from the M715Zone

brute4c said

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0>

<TR>
<TD class=postbody vAlign=top>
<HR>
The problem with flat towing on an M715 type truck is the steering gear. The type used on the M715's and also on civilian Jeeps of the era does not like inputs from the tire and wheel back to the steering gear and steering wheel. This wil ruin the gearbox in short order. You cn find big warnings about this in the Jeep Owners Bible among other sources. I do not know exactly wht in the gearbox has such a hard time with such inputs but it has been a known factor for decades.

I disconnected the drag link at the passenger side steering arm and therefore had no inputs gong to the gearbox. I did of course leave the tie rod bar in place to keep the tires synchronized.

If you look at the M715 versus other vehicles that can be towed this way, there is no other significant difference. Thus the military manual you refernced says wheels up towing....could have said only flat tow with steering gear disconnected....The military made all the pieces specifically for the M715 to be towbar towed because there is a way to do it....surely they didnt make those pieces and distribute them to comands all over the place and then find out it was not possible to use them did they?[/td][/tr][/table]
</TD></TR>
</TABLE></TD></TR>
</TABLE>

Elwenil

I'm still not convinced that is the whole reason for not flat towing a 715. that's why I was asking about the FM 20-22, I thought it might shed a littl emore light on the subject. Not that it's real important, since I will trailer mine anywhere it needs to go, and I'll probably be selling it in a little while to get a Deuce I've been looking at anyway.

Albin

Elwenil said:
Ok, I'm posting this in the 5 ton forum since the FM 20-22 Vehicle Recovery Operations manual mainly pertains to the 5 ton wreckers. I have looked all over the place and can't seem to find a copy of this online, except to purchase. Specifically I am looking for something in the range of the July '70 publication or any of them that would have info regarding towing the M715. Apparently, the 715 series cannot be flat towed, according to the Towbar Manual, and I was just looking for more info concerning that, and any specifics relating to how the 715s should be towed vs. flat towing. Thanks for any help, in advance.
I thought you said Logsa had everything.

Elwenil

They have just about all of the current stuff, but the problem is when you need an outdated and superceeded manual. that and some of the manuals on LOGSA are still not released to the public, so we can't get to those.

Albin

Elwenil said:
They have just about all of the current stuff, but the problem is when you need an outdated and superceeded manual. that and some of the manuals on LOGSA are still not released to the public, so we can't get to those.
And I wish I could gloat over that fact, but I must tell the truth that I can't: I spent about an hour (at work) trying to find the +20MB file and I failed (we have both the old and the new, usually doesn't matter). I may have a source from a 4x4 forum, but I gotta find it again and then see if they will send it to me.

For such a popular FM, I don't understand why it's not hosted somewhere.

BTW, my search found that this thread is at least the third time it's come up on SS. Just so you know.

I'll make a deal with you: I'll get a copy of FM 20-22 if you tell me where you got the nozzles for the French cans. What say you?

Al

Elwenil

Lol, it's ok Kenny answered my question on the manual, although it might not be a bad idea to send a copy to Chris so he could post it in the online manuals. We could be the first to host a free version. As to the french can spouts, I either got them from Cheaper Than Dirt, or The Sportsman's Guide. I thought it was from CTD, but I looked though my packing lists and I can't find where I bought those cans. Might have been before I was keeping records when I first started buying this stuff. Whereever it was, they had used cans that were as is, and some that were repainted on the inside. They had the spouts and new seals for sale on the same page. I don't think they came from Major Surplus, but I think those were the three dealers I was dealing with at the time. If I can remember anything else, I'll post up.

Albin

Ok, good enough.

If someone who has a scanner and *.pdf conversion program can PM me their name, address and e-mail, I'll order it tonight or tomorrow and have it shipped directly to them.

Al

Albin

Don't know if this will help or not, but FM 20-22 has been superseded by USMC FM 9-43-2, Recovery and Battlefield Damage Assessment and Repair. I've got an electronic copy at 5.9 MB. It might be e-mailable.

Send me a PM with your e-mail address and I'll send it to you.

Thanks,

Al

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks