• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What Glow Plugs to use for M1008

CCATLETT1984

I would like reccomendations for glow plugs for my 85 m1008, I still use the controller card ( I don't want to change over to manual) and want a GP that will heat up quick, but not burn out and mushroom.

85-m1028

the 60g seems to be the plug of choice, I went with the autolite #1110 , you just need to some isullated 1/4 female tang connectors and to change them out with the smaller miltary issue. "if it hasn't already been done"

n1vbn

When I updated my M-1009 due to only three operational glow plugs the replacements are AC Delco 60G model glow plugs. Had to grind down the tabs to fit the military harness but no other problems since then. They work fine using the seatbelt warning light as a timing source with a manual push button.

You can pick them up at any auto parts store..I got mine at NAPA.

Just make sure you specify AC60G. That tells the parts guy the make and model you want. AC= AC Delco 60G is the number for the glow plug so just tell him you want 8 AC60G glow plugs.

Armada

So what you're saying is that the AC13G's that were the OE plug, have been superceded by the AC60g's?
So THE ONLY difference is that they are: A. self-regulating B. non-swelling C. the tab needs to be narrowed to fit the mil. connector?
Resistance value, etc., and the stock relay, controller, etc. remains the same?
So if the AC60G's are for the civilian models and can be used on the military models as well, then there is no difference between the military and civilian glow plug system other than the glowplug harness tab? Is there a narrow tab glow plug for the military version that specifically superceded the the OE AC13G's? I thought the military used a 'hotter' plug.

CCATLETT1984

GET THE GP'S FROM WWW.SSDIESEL.COM, they are the self-limiting kind and they are fast heating. they come with a 2year warranty. When you order the plugs you can get them with a set of new harness ends (the moisture resistant kind) and then you just crimp them on the ends of the wires.

ida34

I look at the civy plugs on Ebay and most have a caution that they are not to be used for the military 6.2. I guess it is ok to use in the military 6.5. The info seems to suggest that the 6.2 military plugs are designed for 24v use. If I read posts correctly, the relays should drop the voltage to the glow plugs down to 12v so this would suggest that either plug could be used. I am confused. Someone pipe up and straighten this out for me please. The glow plug controller has been bypassed with a manual button on my cucv. I want to make sure I have the auto limiting style plugs so as not to overheat them to the point of mushrooming them.

mangus580

Do you still have the resistors in place? You should be fine if so.

Keep in mind, that most the claim to them not working in the military 6.2, is because most people think of the Humvee which does use 24v gp's.

Also, I have heard rumor that the spade plug is a different size? But I havent confirmed this one yet.

ida34

Mike,
That makes sense. I will have to check for the resistors but the cover is there so I assume they are there. I asked this of you in another post but I will ask here to. The controller has already been bypassed. I see a couple of added wires on a solenoid on the firewall and a big starter type push button in the dash. I will have to check to be sure but I think it was already bypassed. My question is how do you operate the system manually. Do you just push the button for a few timed seconds then start as normal? Does the wait light work at all in this situation?

Thanks
Chuck

mangus580

As I said in the other post, you can just push the button and hold for a few seconds (5-10) Be careful not to hold too long, as you can burn and swell the plugs if they are not the right kind.

As far as the wait light, I think it depends on how its wired.... I know some have done a manual setup that allows for it to still work.

I sure am glad my controller is good :)

ida34

This is why I was asking about the glow plugs. As soon as I get it turning over I will change out the plugs for some self regulating or limiting type to make sure. Thanks
for the info.

Chuck

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks