• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Period Photo

Lifer

In Memorial
In Memorial
I know that the Army and the Marine Corps both used the mule, but I didn't think they "shared" them in the literal sense. Take a look at the markings on the one that this Jar Head is driving.

Attachments

DanMartin

Maybe it's a trials photograph? If the vehicle was going through testing at the proving grounds, it might have Army and Marine numbers on it....

That photo looks a little staged....some sort of trial or maybe instructional program?

Just a thought.

Charlie

That's an early 4-cylinder mule, no lifting rings on the hubs, and you can see the right side muffler. Very strange to see both a USMC registration number AND an Army registration number.........

rmgill

A smart Gyrene would have painted over those numbers.

A smarter Swabbie would have stolen one mule, damaged the numbers (scuff them on both sides) then parked it at ANOTHER unit's area which also had mules, then stolen one of those. 1st set of guys sees they're missing a mule, reports it stolen to CID. Second set of guys would do their inventory, come up with the correct set of vehicles and call it a day. Ya got five mules, you got the right number, no need to check their serial numbers right?

;-)

blackdog

That same picture can be seen in an early 1960's edition of Leatherneck Magazine which had an entire article introducing the M274 -- I don't have it personally, but I've seen a copy of it...

byrdman1312

In the begining, Army Ordnance was the procuring agency. In other words , that's who got the contract from Willys.

When the USMC adopted the M274, they got them NEW from the contractor thru Army Ordnance. On this one the U.S.Army number had not been painted over yet.

Sumoman

We were near an Airforce base is Saudi during the first gulf war, some items they were not using ended up in our camp so the US Government got the most for its money.. its doing your duty:-D

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks