• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Is this leak bad? What is it? How to fix it? Newbie

wsucougarx

Hello, I went and look at a bunch of trucks today. The best one as far as I could see was a particular truck. However, there appears to be a pretty good leak somewhere. I traced it to this part. Is this the steering box? Is it power steering? Is this an easy fix? Could the bolts be loose? How easy would it be to remove it, err or how hard? How easy would it be to replace? Sorry for all the questions. I'm new to M35's and will hopefully be a winner of one soon :lol:

Its definately not motor oil. It's very viscous...it is definately gear oil... Help

Attachments

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not power steering unless it has air assist, a big air can on the tie rod. I think every deuce leaks at the steering box.. Check the LO for what goes in it.

DanMartin

Mine leaks in the same area...it's actually coming from either the injector pump or the compressor. On mine there is some leak on either the throttle or fuel shut-off levers (where they go into the IP assembly). Check for lose bolts.

Because it's in the blow-back area from the fan, it's hard to tell for sure.

I'm at wits end on finding my leak...I'm about to steam clean the engine and use dye in the oil and a black light to track it down.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
wsucougarx said:
Does anyone know what this is? Is it just a gear box? What's LO?
Yes, it has a worm gear in it with the steering wheel attached to on end and the steering arm comming out the side through the frame.

LO means "Lube order". LO 9-2320-209-12-1

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If in fact its a leaky steering box, drain it and fill it with John Deere Cornhead grease.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Deuce_of_Spades said:
Dan, can you really do that? Or are you just pullin one over on us newbies? MR. CSI!
Yes you can, any oil, engine, trans, hydraulic, etc and you can dye coolant also.

scooter01922

Think i'm gonna do the same on mine with the dye, not only can ya do it but the stuff is easy to find just about anywhere. I know autozone carries the dye. You can get a kit that has the light as well as dyes for oil based systems or the AC. But personally i'm gonna go the cheap route and just grab a cheap blacklight at walmart and a refill bottle of the oil dye. For the 20-30 bucks it ought to cost i can find a few leaks without wasting an afternoon.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
wiggall, Go to the "resources" tab at the top of the page. Click on it and you will see "technical manuals" in the drop down box. Click on that and it will take you to all the manuals. The LO will be there.

jwaller

wsucougarx said:
So from what I am hearing, this is not a bad leak? I only need to drive 60 miles to get her home. Should do just fine
if thats the only leak you have then your good to go. you will soon have many more that will make this one look like the childs play that it is.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks