• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

conventional tires on military rims?

modified

is it possible? I have a 55 M-170 which has the original 16 " rims mounted with 6.50 x 16 tubed and flapped NDT tires, I wish to retain the original rims and put on some A/T or similar all- season brand tires like cooper discovery, etc. I'm curious if I can eliminate the tubes and flaps for this swap ..... I need new tires and the added expense of new rims with new tires would just kill my wallet!! besides , I like the mil rims on there now. I am thinking of slightly larger tires like a 245/75r16. will these work, any suggestions? just stumped on trying to get a clear answer from someone.... thank you for your time.

pics: http://www.flickr.com/photos/56891549@N00/2757543825/

papercu

rims

If your rims are in goog shape AND will hold air it shouldn't be a problem, your tire man will be able to tell.
You will need to check for fender clearance and frame scrubbing on any larger size tires. Wayne

tmbrwolf

RE: rims

The rims weren't designed to hold air, you will have to use a tube and flap appropriate for the tire, IE radial tube / flap for a radial tire. The M170 should have had 7.00 X 16 NDT / NDCC tires as original, I've seen different bias and radials mounted on them, and a good tire place should know what will safely fit the rim.

BFR

Rocket Surgeon
modified said:
is it possible? ... I am thinking of slightly larger tires like a 245/75r16. will these work, any suggestions? .../
I have been thinking about this too. (but it will be a long time before mine will be ready to roll/need tires)

A 245 75R 16 is approximately 31" tall and 10" wide (too wide IMO for the stock wheel).
a 215 85R 16 is approximately 30" tall and 8" wide (close to stock)

here is the rust bucket with 7.50 16 civvy tires which are really growing on me.

Attachments

modified

tires

just an update. mounted 245 /75 r 16 ..... worked well . held air for 100 miles with no pressure drop. swapped em out for 235/85 last week. the outer diam is 31" , perfect height for my target gearing and nice visual proportion. little tight on the front axle. minor rubbing on the leafsprings.

tubes and flaps aren't necessary on the rims. they fit snug. no prob. tire guy suggested max width is around 8-9" = 245/75. on these rims. 8)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks