• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Horn Wire Tube Obstruction

dabtl

I have some kind of horn wire tube obstruction on my M35. I pulled the old wire easily. There seems to be something stopping the passage of the new wire.

I have run extremely heavy rod from the top and from the bottom. It appears the obstruction is around 8 inches from the bottom.

Any ideas?

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
take a metal coat hanger or similar and go from the bottom up, attach wire and pull through. You may have to turn it at the end. The obstruction is at the gearbox.

sermis

Mine did not want to go at first. Kept truing from the top down. Finaly went from bottom up and it went through. Get a small guage wire and go from bottom up and then pill the wire through.
If the old wire came out the new one will go in.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The problem is the inner sleeve going thru the box. Taking it apart wont help it just takes messing with it till it popps thru. Bottom up is the way to go.

dabtl

Life becomes much clearer with a beer or two. Having cooled off and thought about it, you are correct. I was just going out to bang on the thing again, from the bottom.

dabtl

OK, coming in from the bottom I am about six inches from the top. I can see the end of the wire. I need to figure a way to grab it, if possible. It seems to have stopped. I will turn the wire at the bottom to see if that helps.

I have retired for a couple of more beers to clear my mind. :)

dabtl

OK, got it done. I had to grease the wire, insert from the bottom and it worked. I attached the new horn button. No horn, yet. Tomorrows project in waiting.

dabtl

A year or so ago I bought a sack full of new military wire with connectors attached. They varied by length and some had dual connectors. All of it new and all of it kind of like stray cats, just there.

It was 14 gauge black rubber covered, just as all M35's have.

I had also purchased from Saturn some Packard connectors, so I used the female connector to the horn button assembly.

I think I have some debris in the tube left over from other wiring. It was obvious the wiring I removed was at least the second.

At any rate I got it done, no horn yet, but I have a new ignition switch coming from Murray next week. I suspect that will solve the problem, if not I move to the horn circuit breaker.

FormerNewMVGuy

when i pulled my new horn wire through, i attach the new wire to the old wire and as i pulled the old wire out it pulled the new wire in! It is much easier this way and your done with the job in 15 minutes!

dabtl

My wire was broken off in the tube beyond recovery. But, your method is best when the wire is present. Done that on another already.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks