• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Check out what i saw today.... :-)

scooter01922

As usual i entirely forgot that this would be visiting the airport i fly at. Dang, i really wanted to check out the interior. Pretty easy to identify as its the only flying one i know of that visits this area.The only reason i know it was here this weekend is that its flight path for the tour rides take it over my house at about 500 feet on its way to the coast. Makes a big loop and then back to the airport. The funny thing is that my work (where i am now) is also on its flight past, only on its return leg back to the airport. Let me tell you this thing going overhead at 500 feet sounds really sweet. Can't take credit for the pics, found them online but it is the same plane. Heres a nifty vid i found on youtube of the same plane. The quality kinda sucks but still a worthwhile watch. Almost exactly what i saw today, and sounds similar too although the PC speakers do it no justice. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2fgdap7twoc&feature=related

Attachments

scooter01922

You can FMJ, just pop over to the aluminum overcast website. Think its like 400 bucks for a 30 min ride but you do get to fly in it. I'm sure it makes a stop somewhere relatively close to you at some point, tour dates are on the website.

P.S. One of my fav planes as well.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
My youngest son and I flew on one a couple years ago when they came to Shelby County Airport near Birmingham.
It and the B-24 that came with it belong to the Collins Foundation.
Best 800 (tax deductable) bucks I ever spent.
One of my favorite TV shows in my younger days was "12 O'Clock High" about the 8th Army Air Force during WWII.
If I can find my pics I'll post some.

nf6x

Feral Engineer
I flew in the Collings Foundation's B-17 a number of years ago. That was FUN!! The B-17 is my favorite multi-engine plane, and the T-28 is my favorite single-engine plane.

Lucky guy :) I hope I will have that experiance one day, too.
I love the sound of these big radials. Last year I had the pleasure of a flight in a T6 Texan, with a full aerobatic session. I'll never forget that. The planes from that era are truly outstanding.
I don't know how many Me109s are in the States on air shows, but if you have chance to see one (expecially the later series like the "G"), go for it. The whine of the compressor on dives will give you goose pimples.
I could go on for hours...

Cheers,
Mark

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks