• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Huge Electrical Plug Needed

Armada

Hey guys. I am looking for an electrical plug that goes to the 110v connection on an M146 trailer, M109 deuce, etc. The cable and plug delivers the power from a genset to the electrical box inside the trailer, truck. Here are some pictures of what I need. Any leads would be appreciated! I don't have to have the complete plug and cable assembly, but that would be nice. But if I at least had the plug, I could add my own cable/cord.

Attachments

steelandcanvas

Start at some of the larger wholesale houses, Westinghouse, Greybar, Etc, they should have that in stock. Looks like 100 Amp 250 Volt Pin and Sleeve Connector, but don't quote me.

nf6x

Feral Engineer
Re: RE: Huge Electrical Plug Needed

LibertyDeuce said:
The connector on the M109A3/M146 is an "Arktite" connector. Arktite is the brand name. Google it and research it. The manufacturer is Crouse-Hinds. You can find alot of the connectors on ebay. Check out he following link of a fellow SS Member , Mark Green.
http://www.nf6x.net/greentruck/truck1/pics.html
The model number is APJ 6275
[thumbzup]
Actually, I'm Mark Blair. ;)

It's a 60A pin and sleeve connector. Hubbell (I think) also makes a compatible connector, with more plastic and less metal, which I bought from Grainger for one of my power cables. These things are super expensive when new, so I hope you'll be able to find a surplus one. I don't know whether I have any extra ones, and since I'm in the middle of a move, I'm not going to look any time soon!

LibertyDeuce

Re: RE: Huge Electrical Plug Needed

nf6x said:
LibertyDeuce said:
The connector on the M109A3/M146 is an "Arktite" connector. Arktite is the brand name. Google it and research it. The manufacturer is Crouse-Hinds. You can find alot of the connectors on ebay. Check out he following link of a fellow SS Member , Mark Green.
http://www.nf6x.net/greentruck/truck1/pics.html
The model number is APJ 6275
[thumbzup]
Actually, I'm Mark Blair. ;)

It's a 60A pin and sleeve connector. Hubbell (I think) also makes a compatible connector, with more plastic and less metal, which I bought from Grainger for one of my power cables. These things are super expensive when new, so I hope you'll be able to find a surplus one. I don't know whether I have any extra ones, and since I'm in the middle of a move, I'm not going to look any time soon!
Sorry about that Mark. I just took my own advice and went to Ebay and snagged a new Arktite APJ 6275 connector for under $100 with shipping
:D

nf6x

Feral Engineer
RE: Re: RE: Huge Electrical Plug Needed

I can look up the part number of the Hubbell version tomorrow, if that will help anybody.

nf6x

Feral Engineer

The part number of Hubbell's equivalent plug is HBL360PS1W. I use one on the AC power cable for my HMMWV's S-250 commo shelter. The shelter's power inlet is a 4-pin circular connector rated at 70 amps, and I used the big pin and sleeve connector on the other end. This is the opposite of the way that the connectors are used on the M109 shop vans, but I don't like having exposed pins on the live end of the cable.

The power inlet connector on the shop van, with its shrouded pins, should be used as a power outlet. The connector family that they used for the M109 has cable-end connectors for both sides of the connection, but only has a bulkhead-mount connector for the pin end. If the family included a bulkhead-mounted sleeve connector, then that would be the one to have on the shop van body. Unfortunately, there isn't one, and the M109 designers chose to use the pin end on the van, leading to cables with exposed sleeves and a potential shock hazard when a live cable is unplugged from the van body.

The bolt pattern on the M109's connector is also compatible with modern (and more commonly available) IEC-309 pin and sleeve connectors. These ones have all four permutations of pin vs. sleeve and cable mount vs. bulkhead mount. If you would consider replacing the original connector with an IEC-309 pin and sleeve connector, and you can afford the cost of buying yet another expensive connector, and you don't mind that the plug bodies are plastic instead of metal, then you can create a power connection that won't create a shock hazard when unplugged. I decided to do this with one of my shop vans (which I've since sold).

Attachments

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter

The Appleton Electric part number is ACP6022BC (2 wire 2 pole plug) and is supposed to also be a match for the Cooper Crouse-Hinds APJ6275 plug. Price quote I got today was $176.95 plus tax.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks