• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

AN/VDR-2 Radiac Set

Crazyguyla

Mark,

This is not something you can just buy, it has a radioactive source and makes it a very controlled item. Buying or selling one can get you a visit by the men in suits and black SUV's with limo tint. If they ever do pop up on GL, they'd be probless and demilled (smooshed)

Marcus

m151tx

HI Marcus.

I think you are getting this confused with the Chemical detector which has a controlled source.

The VDR-2 is available in commercial form from the manufacturer (canberra) and is like any other of the many types of radiacs available surplus from various surplus dealers, in fact if you look at ebay you will see other types available. From what I remember the Geiger tube is just a commercial off the shelf item.

A yellow instead of green version was procured by FEMA then from my understanding, when they were no longer required they were all sold off as surplus in the late nineties and there are a number of groups who do nothing but collect these devices. They were fitted to the last of the 151's and the Hummer.

A non working demill would be fine anyway, all I want is a case to fill the mount.

Mark

wsucougarx

I came upon a VDR-2 complete with case and probe for $199.99. Is that a good deal? Not sure what they go for. It was not demilled as it has batteries in the comparment and it looks like everything is there. The batteries were very much dead and had no way to verify it worked. However, there was not a scratch on it. Looked almost new.

Attachments

Last edited:

Rustygears

I'm interested in finding one as well. Been monitoring flea-bay without success. If anyone knows a source at a reasonable price please let me know.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks