• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New to this forum. Winter Camo question.

mcne2026

Hey all. New to the HMMWV forum as I recently purchased my first Hummer H1. I have been on the board a while as I also have a CUCV M1009.

My 1995 H1 Wagon needs to be painted. I am thinking about going with a Winter Camo paint job. Can anyone provide me with a pattern and color codes? Also, any pictures of a H1 or HMMWV in Winter Camo would be appreciated. Thanks all.

Elwenil

Plain flat white is about the only thing used these days, and even then it is rare. You could take the 3 color NATO pattern and substitute grey for the brown, but it would not look close to authentic in my opinion and would be next to useless for actual concealment. Probably a better choice would be the 4 color MERDC camouflage pattern with it's arctic pattern but since the pattern has never been used (to my knowledge) on a HMMWV, you would have to use a pattern for another vehicle and modify it to the H1.

This link is for models, but it does list the FS paint numbers:
http://www.xs4all.nl/~gurth/afv/merdc.html

Elwenil

That seems to loosely follow the 3 color NATO pattern, using grey as the base instead of 383 green, black for the brown, and white for the black. It doesn't match exactly, but is close except for a few places that are the wrong color or in the wrong place. It looks interesting, but obviously has no value as an actual camouflage pattern for concealment.

hummer4x4guy

Isnt it true that the camo patters used are not exactly for concelement but to make it harder to count the number of vehicles if all are parked together? If the paint jobs were really to hide a vehicle it would be a bunch of leaves and tree trunks painted on all the trucks...
Joel

davidkroberts

yeah thats pretty much what i was thinking when i painted mine. i got some flak about it not being "original" or "period correct" but i thought it was cool so i did it.

I really like that Hummer in winter camo NATO, i would like to see what my Unimog 404 would look like in it.

Elwenil

hummer4x4guy said:
Isnt it true that the camo patters used are not exactly for concelement but to make it harder to count the number of vehicles if all are parked together? If the paint jobs were really to hide a vehicle it would be a bunch of leaves and tree trunks painted on all the trucks...
Joel
Actually no, any creature with bifocal eyes can see past the "treebark" style camouflage, which is why no military on the planet uses it. The camouflage patterns are designed very carefully to conceal and break up the overall shape of the vehicle both to make it harder to see and to identify. If you notice on the real patterns, the splotches of color don't follow any body lines and wrap around corners to flatten the perception of them out and distort the identifying details of the vehicle. The patterns are just a base and for true concealment a lot more is required like placement on the terrain, local light conditions, camouflage netting and supports and local foliage.

The days of concealing convoy numbers and movements went out the window with the use of spy satellites.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Camo is really only to fool your eyes. It does nothing to fool infrared sights, satellites, spyplanes, telephoto lens, night vision, etc.

TreBark is to fool animals, which see things differently than your eyes do. Camo should BREAK UP a pattern, not CONSIST of a pattern, like TreBark does. (looks like leaves, tree branches, etc.)

ida34

The purpose of camo is to break up the visual image of a vehicle so it is not recognized as a vehicle or to make it harder to tell what vehicle it is. This is why camo netting is used so much. The netting does a real good job of making a truck look like a hill. Even if they do spot the new hill they do not have a good idea of what is under it. I put up a camo net in the back yard to dry it out. My aunt drove by and wondered why I had a pile of dirt in my back yard and also wondered how the grass grew on it so fast. This was at a distance of about 150 feet. The camo netting we used also was radar scattering to help mask it from radar.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks