• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Major problem with tag and title.

jwaller

So I've been riding around in my M998 for a few months now and I finally got around to going to the tag office to finish my registration. So I hand her my paper work and it's the title I got from original owner, bill of sale, and Vin inspection report from a LEO.

lady calls about 4 different ppl on the phone and now she's got somebody in the state tag office in atlanta. This person tells her that my vehicle is for off road use only and they will not issue me a tag or clear my title into my name. She says that pretty much it and when my current tag runs out in about 9 months I'm screwed. I tell her it's the same vehicle as the hummer it's just a different color. she says yes I know but....

Does anybody have any useful information to this problem?

TedG

Have her show you the proof that it is for off road use only. Do you have the original SF97? If not, can you contact previous owner and see if they can get you a copy? Do you know the history of this truck as far as how many owners and how it was released? Lastly, you might consider assembled vehicle route...Good luck!

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Guess what all the orignal SF-97's were boldly stamped when the humvees all got released from the USMC auction.... It's not going to help your case.....

bulldog_mack13

3/3 ACR
smack-

I had to get weighted plates in NC for my Duece and my buddy on the other side of the state didnt have to... exact same situiation with him and me.
Cost me more money , if possible go to a differnt DMV or tag office in your county .
Seems like they should all use the same book to refernce...

Michael

Half of the Marine Corps humvees went through an auction house in Atlanta, so they probably know that they all had for off road use only stamped on the form 97. For those who don't know, most of the humvees that have been released were in one large lot from the Marine Corp. Half went to an auction house in Atlanta and half went to CA. I almost went to the auction in Atlanta. A few have come out in salvage sales. Very few have come out with unlimited use form 97s. I realize that most people had no trouble getting a tag and regular title on the trucks, but a few states have refused to tag them. I didn't realize that GA was one of them.

What state did the previous owner have it titled in? Why is someone form Columbia, SC trying to get a GA tag?

jwaller

I have all my vehicles registered in my parents name and address in Ga where I used to live. until now it's been way cheaper and easier.

I bought the truck from the 3rd owner and I got it from Colorado. Ga would not accept the Co title bc it had a nonstandard VIN. thats why I had to get an LEO to verify the VIN. or as we know(we dont have VIN's) MFG ID #.

I am guessing this USMC truck came from the sale in Ca.

I may have to go the assembled vehicle route.

I got the current tag by transferring it from another vehicle.

Michael

I think I would try tagging it in SC next. Unless you think it would mess up your other vehicles. Good luck with whatever you try.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Worst case scenario, find a cooperative person in a tow yard. Leave it with them and have it leined for storage, they will then be able to apply for a title in their name.

jwaller

Recovry4x4 said:
Worst case scenario, find a cooperative person in a tow yard. Leave it with them and have it leined for storage, they will then be able to apply for a title in their name.
I have just such a person. I wonder if that will work.

jwaller

Michael said:
I think I would try tagging it in SC next. Unless you think it would mess up your other vehicles. Good luck with whatever you try.
If I don't have any luck in Ga I'll try Sc next. It would require separate insurance bu thats not a big deal.

Also-you can try going a special construction or reconstruction route. In VA it includes a safety/roadworthy inspection and inspection for stolen parts-then they get branded with a VIN that starts with an R and is 7 digits "reconstructed title". This is the same manner a custom bike or kitcar may be titled as well.

Mekadi

I live in MA and I had no problem what so ever getting mine tagged and registered in Mass and I didnt even have the SF-97. When I went in there I thought that they would give me hassle about it but they didnt say a word, they just gave me my tag and a new title to go with it with out any questions. Like some one else said in the earlier reply try to go to a different teller or a different DOT and see what they do. You have all the proper ppwrk.

Good luck to you

amanco

Like some one else said in the earlier reply try to go to a different teller or a different DOT and see what they do.
If your state vehicle registration offices are like they are here in Ohio, that is exactly what I would do.

Here in Ohio you can go to ANY BMV in the state. Not just the one local to you. In Ohio you get your new sticker for registration and each county has their own sticker. Every BMV in the state has every county sticker available for issue. So that is a minimum of 88+ BMV's here in Ohio. We have two here in Delaware County. Keep trying until you succeed!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks