• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Types of welding questions

Boatcarpenter

Say a fella found an M151A1 he was interested in that needed the rust repair kit installed and a bunch of other patching etc, but hadn't welded for a number of years and only had done arc welding. Could said fella pick up a welding outfit to do the needed repairs and learn to use it in a reasonable amount of time for not a huge amount of money. What would be the best for the job and what range of prices could he expect to pay for said gear. Could one type of welder be used for the sheet metal and say up to 1/4 stock?
I know there will be many different points of view on this but I want to hear them all.
I have a lot of respect for the wealth of knowledge of the members here so throw some ideas at me.
By the way, there is one about 4 miles from me that I believe runs and drives, but needs body work. Asking $1500, but probably could get it for less. Has some repair parts with it and my friend Jim has everything else needed.
Thanks for your input :driver:
BC

jasonjc

You can get a some MIG welder that will do the sheet metal up too 1/4" for not too much. They come in 110v and 220v. You can use them with and with out gas. I perfer the Argon/CO2 mix ,It does make a big deferance over just CO2. If you arc welded in the past the MIG will be easy for you to use. I pick up a used miller a few years ago I think it's a 170 amp 220v for $400 I think it was.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I agree with Jason. A mig will work on most things and not warp the product. 75/25 shielding gas is the way to go. You can also do aluminum with it with a wire and gas change. 220VAC is best, but there are some good 110VAC units. Stay away from "tap" type welders...like the kind Home Defect sells. Get one that you can ramp up the voltage and wire speed. IMHO, 140 amp should be the minimum you should look at.

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
I have used core flux wirefeed welders for home welding this type of project but having a big arc welder and way preferring the weld it gives I have experimented with very small rods and low settings and have successfully welded sheet metal with the arc welder but this is a technique that requires lots of patience and practice.

I also have an oxi-acetalyne torch that I have welded sheet metal with and that takes pratice too.

The cheaper wire feeders are sometimes problematic in that they sputter.

If you can afford a bigger mig or tig they world wonderfully and I have welded aluminum and sheetmetal with them like eating fresh bread and butter

desertfox

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I use a 220V Lincoln Mig welder with core flux. This is more versitle wire for me. I use it inside and out. If using Argon or a combo then there can not be any draft or the gas sheiding is gone and the splatering starts and makes a mud dobbers nest as a weld or it burns thru. And remember to use copper behind the welding area to absorb the heat in order to decrease/disapate the heat. I use a 6" piece of 1/2" copper tubing flattened on one end. Also invest in some body clamps to hold the panal seams together while welding. Life is easier with the proper tools.

Boatcarpenter

OK Will,
I found some spec tables for some MIG welders. Under the output column it lists DC current and voltage control. Under the various models, some have "tap" and some have "continuous" and one has 7-tap in the voltage control column. What exactly does the "tap" mean?
Thanks,
BC

98hd

MIg w/ 75/25 is the way to go for sheet metal. The Flux core has an easier tendancy to burn through the metal in my experience. Also for sheet metal, use a .023 wire to keep the burn through down.

It will take some practice, but I tought myself. I have a Hobart 135 (it is a 140 now) and it has worked well for awhile. I have outgrown it now and looking for a bigger unit.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Tap has a dial that "clicks" into a pre set position. Continuous is a fully adjustable output voltage. The tap type will work good, but for a finer adjustment, the continuous is better. I forget what the def of tap is...it's been a while.

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
Tap comes from where you are pulling the current from on the welder in old AC machines it was a tap on the windings of the transformer. True true about the heat dissipation and keeping the flux gasses around the fusion area.

Angus1

If you are going to buy a welder, buy one you can use for a bunch of stuff. IMHO Stay away from any 110vac welders, they are all junk. You cannot weld much over 1/8 inch in a single pass, and the duty cycle is very low. Flux core is fine to start with, But you will want to add a mig conversion eventually. If you can stick weld, mig will not be a problem

Boatcarpenter

Thanks very much guys. [thumbzup] . I think I've got a good idea about which route to go now. Now the search starts for the "just right" unit at the "just right" price.
YOU GUYS ARE GREAT :grd:
BC

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks