• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Water Fuel Separation

Amxhunter

Just given 2 55 gallon drums of waste oil. However , I suspect they have a significant amount of water in them.

Any thoughts on this ? Could always use it to control the crab grass :wink:

Any simple way to separate the water out ?

TIA

Uglyranger

In Memorial
In Memorial
Tip the drums at an angle for several days, then stick a siphon hose all the way to the very bottom, drain the water until you start getting oil out of the hose.

Amxhunter

Kind of already tried that.

I have a bottom feeder barrel pump. Drum has been sitting for about a week. Pumped out about a gallon today and got what looked like really thin oil. My concern is that the oil is actually hyd fluid and may be hydroscopic.

If that's the case , am I screwed ????

I pumped out about a quart 3 days ago and put it in a glass jar. I shook it very hard and did not notice any real foaming as I usually see with a water component.

However, today I added several ounces of water to that same jar and shook it again. No foaming this time either.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Let it sit for a few weeks. Draw off the top until you see a difference in the material you are pumping out. The H2O will hang at the bottom and you'll see it when it starts comming out.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks