• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Where do you get your WMO/Transmission fluid?

Flea

Everywhere around here is reluctant to give the stuff to Joe Blow because of EPA regs. All the shops say they have to show on paper where the stuff goes, and they have to sell/dispose to a reputable disposal company.

What gives? Perhaps I should look in to becoming a non-profit "LLC" or something.

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
This is just the tip of the iceberg if we let Barrack Hussain Obama in office in fact there will most likely be a tax on it to pick it up. I think you could legitimately produce a company header and a spreadsheet that lists the products picked up and date to satisfy this. I picked up the business from my dad that my grandfather started and still have some of the orginal letterhead. If you take it to Kinkos you could even get it collated so you could write out a receipt give them the orginal and you keep the copies. That way if you got looked into you could explain where it all went.

bottleworks

Re: RE: Where do you get your WMO/Transmission fluid?

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus said:
This is just the tip of the iceberg if we let Barrack Hussain Obama in office in fact there will most likely be a tax on it to pick it up.

To date, that is the most ignorant thing I have read on this forum.

Flea, you should check into if your state requires a license of some type. They may not but the shop owners may think that the used oil collectors have a phantom license. They do need to have paper work stating just how they dispose of their waste. You may need to produce paper work stating a collection agreement. That way if they have a govt audit, they can show that they have you designated as their waste oil collector.

Barrman

RE: Re: RE: Where do you get your WMO/Transmission fluid?

I have spent most of each evening this week going to every place in my small town looking to take the used oil off their hands. A waste company out of Austin has already been here. They supply 250 gallon tanks for the business to dump oil into, show up once a month to collect it along with all the used oil filters that might have stacked up. Nobody is paying anybody anything for the oil. I can't match the 250 gallon container and used oil filter collection though.

However, since I am in a rural area, lots of farmers and ranchers. Just talking to the people I work with I have been promised several hundred gallons of used oil. I have also been told by a guy who works on bulldozers in his spare time that "I can have you swimming in used oil and hydraulic fluid." I will find out how he defines a swim when I show up at his place.

Look for the small business off the beaten path and you will probably find all you need.

dm22630

RE: Re: RE: Where do you get your WMO/Transmission fluid?

Craigslist!!!!!

To date I have been given OVER 800 gallons (in about a month and a half). I am about to go pick up 400 of it this weekend.

It is coming from companies that have a lot of large trucks & change oil on site. They do NOT care where it goes, as long as it is gone.

I would NOT provide anything in writing to anyone.....because if something happens on their site when you are not there....they will just blame it on you!

Re: RE: Re: RE: Where do you get your WMO/Transmission fluid

dm22630 said:
Craigslist!!!!!

I would NOT provide anything in writing to anyone.....because if something happens on their site when you are not there....they will just blame it on you!
:ditto: with todays way of life and way people are. Check all your P's and Q's

randyscycle

I run a small motorcycle shop, so plenty of old fluids lingering here.

As far as collection companies,they run the gamut from informal to charging a disposal fee in my experience in both the MC and auto industry. With fuel prices these days they usually charge a fee if there is less than 500 gallons. Used to be 250.

Personally, I won't pay to have my oil hauled (and with the deuce don't need to now) because I know the services who haul it get paid for it themselves. They usually send it to a refiner who buys it to refine for No3 power plant fuel. At least that is what I have been told by a number of haulers around here, as to what they do with it. They have also gotten very picky about the oil they take. They consider anything other than straight WMO contaminated and charge a hazardous material fee. My WMO had a faint smell of gasoline which most does, and they classified it as hazadrous and contaminated. I just kept it and now I am glad I did.

To answer your question, as most have said, find a farmer or independent heavy equipment service co. They will be more than happy to give you their used oil. Just be sure you have a way to haul it in quantity that won't draw any attention from the local authorities. They're kinda funny about the whole HAZMAT thing.....

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks