• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New member with questions about a possible M715 Purchase.

Lonesome715

This is a truck my wife found for sale. I have always wanted one of these in original trim. The truck is complete and runs. One problem I have is I do not think it has the original engine. But, I want to get verification first. I have seen these in much worse shape going for much more than the $2000 asking price. We are of course trying to work him down lower because of the very poor luck we have experienced lately. But I do not want to let this truck slip away either. Well, shoot me what information you all can. And please confirm or correct my assumption of that being the wrong engine.

Attachments

Lonesome715

RE: New member with questions about a possible M715 Purchase

By the way, this is what the seller claims.

"1 1/4 ton M715 wo/wn Kaiser year 1967 "

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!

It is what the seller calls it. The motor is NOT stock. The stock motor it a 230 cubic inch "tornado", that motor looks like a chevy. You should also check out www.m715zone.com Welcome.

Lonesome715

I was thinking it was a Chevy engine. I just did not know if different engines were used. I know with the wrong engine a restore is not possible. but what about the preice and over condition of the truck. He claims it runs good.

LOWGEAR

Well.. what I look for is good rust free sheet metal. Check for rust through behind the seats, floor boards,rocker panels and the bottom of the doors. Motors ,gear boxes etc. are ez to get.The price sounds good.Dose the truck come with a title? Titles are expensive in some states. Looking at your pics, the truck looks great!

papercu

I've heard that the original engine was a "dog". I drove a few back then but don't remember them as being bad. I would think a chevy engine as a plus, though.
Shouldn't be a problem finding a original engine if you want to go that way. Wayne

PS You wouldn't happen to know a electrican named PD from over that way?

Elwenil

I wouldn't look at the wrong engine being a bad thing unless you are wanting a 100% stock restoration. The stock 230 is an odd engine and the military version is even more odd so some parts are troublesome and expensive to find. Doing a complete rebuild of a 230 is very difficult as most of the internals are not being produced anymore. A Chevy engine, as much as I would hate to own one, would be much easier to find parts for and much easier on you if you intend to drive it much. Paint it OD and many will never know the difference. I was putting a 318 V8 in mine and was going to make it appear sort of stock by painting it and preserving the air pressure vent system.

Overall it looks like a fairly complete truck. Some points to look at specifically are the windshield frame, cab body mount crossmembers and the gas tank. These are very common to be rusted out to the point of not being able to repair them. A solid gas tank and unbent tailgate are like solid gold in the M715 world.

colyork

There was one that was for sale last summer that was a finished restore,went for $7000 I think. Looks like you have a diamond in the rough there.If the engine runs well even if it's not stock you can still move it around.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you want the original engine I'll swap you the one out of mine for that chevy.

FrankUSMC

I have had several M715s, they are good trucks, but the down side of them was:
1. poor motor
2. poor cab design (very prone to rusting out, and weak)
3. poor visiblty over the BIG hood (the hood area covers two time zones!)
4. poor turning
The good side,
1. the were GREAT trucks with an engine change
2. great bullet proof frames and axles
3. the bed was very solid!!
4. the look cool!!!!
On the motor, if you get the truck, you can find some one easy to give you a motor, but I would stick to the one they have in the truck now. Alot of guys go up to the chevy 350 in them.
Good luck and keep us posted.
One of the few, Frank USMC RET

Elwenil

I would have to strongly disagree on the axles being bulletproof. The Dana 70 rear is a coarse spline version that is not very strong at all. It will handle the job it's meant to do, but it's no where near as strong as a modern Dana 60. It also has a weird offset pinion so gear changes are next to impossible and I think there is only 4:56s available. The front Dana 60 axle is a closed knuckle design, which causes the poor turning radius, the axle tubes are pretty small compared to most other Dana 60s and the axle shafts are weaker than a modern Dana 44. As a matter of fact, there are many M715 owners who have swapped to an 8 lug Dana 44 front axle along with an 8 lug Dana 60 rear axle to get rid of the deep gearing and troublesome drum brakes and get a stronger combination overall with better parts availability.

On a similar note, the NP200 transfer case is frequently swapped out in favor of a divorced NP205 transfer case as the NP200 has a bad habit of overheating and boiling all the fluid out at today's highway speeds. If you are buying a M715 to restore and drive occasionally in parades, the stock configuration is fine, if you are going to work the truck or use it offroad, it requires quite a bit of modification to survive unless you have a very light foot.

FrankUSMC

Yes, there are better axles out there today.
Funny part about your post. I see you are from Virginia. Back in the 80s, I went to a friends surplus yard here in North Carolina. There were several M715s, turn over on there sides, with no axles on them. They were all in very good shape, were military surplus, as they were still green with the stars on the doors. I asked the owner why he would just cut the axles out from under such nice M715s. He said, that he had a customer in Virginia that would buy every M715 axle assembly he could get, he could sell the axles for more than he could sell the whole trucks for.
One more part on this story, this would have been taking place in the late 70s early 80s. My friend said the guy buying the axles was into mud racing.
One of the few, Frank USMC RET

Elwenil

I've seen stranger things. I'm working out a deal with a guy with a Dodge W250 to swap his D44 and D60 axles for my old half ton axles I took out of my Ramcharger. He seems to think they are just as strong and will give him better gas mileage. :roll: As for mud racing with M715 axles, I dont understand it, but I would think that if they were so good, he would only need one set.

Lonesome715

Thanks for the information. My wife is going to go look at the truck and get me some better photographs. The seller claims it runs and he can drive it to my house. But he has no title and does not want to budge from the $2000 price tage. I really hate that I cannot see the truck for myself. I may not know this perticular vehicle very well, but I am not fool when it comes to trucks and mcechanics. A 100% original rebiuld is not what I am interested in (not yet anyway). I was looking for a good driver and trail truck. I do not mind some body work as I would prefer this to be a nice looking ride. But I really do not want a frame on restoration right now. I have other trucks in need of that as it is.

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
I was discussing your situation with a couple of the fellows in our group today Lonesome.
If you would like, one or more of our members could look at the truck for you and give you an honest opinion.
We would be glad to accompany your wife to view the vehicle.
Anything to help those protecting us.

Lonesome715

I do not know how busy you guys are, but if you could spare a little time it sure would be nice for some to look at it that has experience with these vehicles.

By the way, I asked my wife to stop by your museum this Saturday. If you see a good looking red head with the worlds cutest three year old in tow, that’s them.

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
we will be there from 10:00 AM to about 4PM. if she would like, maybe one of us could go look at the truck with her. That's what we do best...help our brothers and their families.
Give her my cell # 706-681-9195 in case she cant find us.

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Hey lonesome.
The wife and son came down Saturday and I think they had a good time. The little one absolutely wore out all the members that were there!! Dang...where does he get that energy!!
We didn't get to go see the 715 as she had to run do some shopping for you. I hear you are pretty tough on blue jeans??
Let us know if we can help in any way..and the wife has our number in case we can help her as well.
Keep the faith Brother!!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks