• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Need help with Bose military headset

ida34

I managed to pic up a Bose TriPort Tactical Headset. It is designed to work under a helmet. The push to talk box has a battery compartment and there is a connector on the side. I assume it is to power the ANR. I need to know what battery needs to go in there. It is a round battery for sure but it looks too big for AA and to small for anything else. I was thinking maybe two CR-123 batteries but do not want to try it without knowing what should be in the thing. I also assume the connector is for a vehicular battery connection. I need to find out if this is the case and find out where to get the connector. Anyone with any info please chime in. I sent an email to bose but so far all I get is crickets.

ida34

Well Google finally helped me out. I found the information I wanted from a PS article. I am posting for the next guy that needs the info.

IF YOU'RE TRAVELING IN AN UP-ARMORED M1114 HMWWV OR OTHER WHEELED TACTICAL VEHICLE WITHOUT HEARING PROTECTION, YOU ARE DAMAGING YOUR HEARING!

YOU MUST WEAR HEARING PROTECTION!

OF COURSE, WEARING SOME HEARING PROTECTION CAN KEEP YOU FROM HEARING THINGS YOU NEED TO HEAR, LIKE LIFE AND DEATH WARNINGS AND THE SOUNDS OF THE APPROACHING ENEMY.

THAT'S WHERE THE BOSE IMPROVED TACTICAL HEADSET (ITH), NSN 5965-01-521-0941, COMES IN.

THE HEADSET PROTECTS YOUR HEARING, BUT STILL LETS YOU HEAR WHAT NEEDS TO BE HEARD.

IT'S THE VITAL COMPONENT TO THE INTERCOM SYSTEM OF YOUR HMWWV AND, EVENTUALLY, OTHER LIGHT TACTICAL VEHICLES.

[ILLUSTRATION OMITTED]

THE HEADSET FITS OVER THE ADVANCED COMBAT HELMET (ACH) OR UNDER IT. OVER THE HELMET, IT CAN BE REMOVED WITHOUT REMOVING THE HELMET.

ADJUSTMENTS TO FIT EVERY HEAD ARE MADE WITH THE HOOK-AND-PILE STRAPS AROUND THE NECK AND OVER THE HEAD.

[ILLUSTRATION OMITTED]

ITS MICROPHONE ASSEMBLY IS REPLACEABLE AND CAN BE POSITIONED ON THE RIGHT OR THE LEFT.

IT'S LIGHTER THAN PREVIOUS HEADSETS AND THE EAR CUSHIONS ARE MORE COMFORTABLE.

[ILLUSTRATION OMITTED]

THE HEADSET PROVIDES HEARING PROTECTION THROUGH BOTH ACTIVE AND PASSIVE NOISE REDUCTION.

[ILLUSTRATION OMITTED]

WHAT DOES THAT MEAN?

IT MEANS A SNUG FIT ON THE HEAD AND EARS GIVES YOU PASSIVE NOISE REDUCTION ...

... AND THE ELECTRONICS GIVE YOU ACTIVE NOISE REDUCTION.

[ILLUSTRATION OMITTED]

THE HEADSET ALSO HAS A "TALK-THRU" CIRCUIT THAT LETS YOU DISMOUNT FROM THE VEHICLE AND HEAR AMBIENT SOUND IN STEREO AND HAVE A NORMAL CONVERSATION WITHOUT HAVING TO REMOVE THE HEADSET.

[ILLUSTRATION OMITTED]

THE CONTROL MODULE ON THE CABLE/MICROPHONE ASSEMBLY HAS A THREE-POSITION PUSH-TO-TALK SWITCH AS WELL AS THE TWO-POSITION TALK-THRU SWITCH.

THE PUSH-TO-TALK SWITCH IS SPRING LOADED AND POSITIONED ON THE FACE OF THE CONTROL MODULE IN THE CENTER.

THE SWITCH CAN BE HELD MOMENTARILY IN THE PUSH-TO-TALK POSITION OR IT CAN BE "LATCHED" IN THE LIVE INTERCOM POSITION.

[ILLUSTRATION OMITTED]

THE TALK-THRU SWITCH IS LOCATED ON ONE SIDE OF THE CONTROL MODULE. THE BATTERY COMPARTMENT WITH ONE AA ALKALINE BATTERY IS ON THE OTHER SIDE.

[ILLUSTRATION OMITTED]

THE CONTROL MODULE ALSO HAS AN M42 GAS MASK MICROPHONE CONNECTION.

PREVENTIVE MAINTENANCE ON THE HEADSET MEANS KEEPING IT CLEAN, DRY, STORING IT OUT OF HARM'S WAY, AND CHECKING FOR CRACKS AND OTHER DAMAGE.

[ILLUSTRATION OMITTED]

HERE ARE THE REPAIR PARTS THAT ARE AVAILABLE FOR THE HEADSET ...

Part NSN

Headband one 5965-01-525-1695
Headband two 5965-01-525-2635
Outer ear cushion 5965-01-525-1694
Inner ear cushion 5965-01-525-2016
Microphone harness 5965-01-525-2019
Microphone shield 5965-01-525-1684
Electrical headset 5965-01-525-1685
Cable assembly 5995-01-525-1680
Electrical cover 5930-01-525-1675

[ILLUSTRATION OMITTED]

ida34

I have found out they are for the VIC-3 only. I found a company that makes upgraded VIC-1 components and their upgrade includes adding an ANR interface. They make a retrofit kit for the crew boxes. You swap the A80 module in the crew box for the new A80/N module. As long as that crewbox is updated it will interface with the rest of the system. I am going to try to get a hold of them tomorrow.

Here is the pic and a link to the company with the upgraded VIC-1 components.

http://www.napcointl.com/en/home/pr...s/00/document/VIC-1 White Paper- Jul 2005.pdf

Thanks
Chuck

Attachments

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
Yup those are the same ones we had in our UAH if I rember they run about $500 each and they did quiet down the ride. I use my much cheaper and commercial JVC noise cancelling ones every time I fly it makes the trip so much more enjoyable canceling all the jet background noise. I am sure you will be happy with them when you get them working. Please post a picture of the complete set up when you get the mod done to the VIC 1.

Please let us know what the upgrade box runs too if they are affordable this would be a great upgrade.

ida34

I called the company with the upgrade A80 module and they do not have a price. They do not stock them and make them for every order so the price is dependent on how many are bought. This would mean they are cost prohibitive to me.

ida34

Can someone in the know tell me some info on the Vic-3 and the bose stuff? I know the Vic 3 stuff has an extra contact in the middle of the connector. Is this to power the ANR circuitry? If so, does anyone know where I can get a Vic-3 crew box connection to retrofit to my Vic-1 crew box? The next question is how many volts the ANR circuit need to operate. If this is the only difference I figured I could find a connection and run power to it. I am sure I can tap a connection in the crew box. If I have no other recourse I will try to run a separate line to power the ANR and tap into the push to talk switch on the headset.

ida34

I did some digging and seem to have answered some of my own questions. I found the -20 and it shows a pin out for the cable. The center pin is for ANR power. It does not show the voltage but I would assume it is 24 volt. I am going to spend some more time with the -20 and try to find the voltage. I am sure it is in there somewhere. Now I just need to find a vic-3 connector for my crewbox. I want to be able to do it so it looks seamless but if I can't make it happen I will just run a separate power line to the push to talk. It may even work just fine with the battery in place for the dismounted option. I will post something when I know more.

Chuck

ida34

After more digging I found the voltage for the ANR circuit is 24 volts. Now I need to see if there is 24 volts any where in the vic-1 crew boxes and find a vic 3 connector. If nothing else I will add in a 24 volt tap to the push to talk switch.

ida34

Funny you should bring it up. I just got a couple of newer radio speakers with the correct connector on them. When I get some free time I am going to put the connector in a 2298 box and run the 24 volts to the connector. I did find a place to pull 24 volts from inside the 2298 box. I will then check to see if my headset is working correctly. I did put a battery in it a couple of weeks ago and used it in the dismounted position. In the dismounted position the things work like electronic shooting earmuffs. You can hear just fine until a loud noise happens. When I do the work I will take and post pics.

You can't use the bose on a vic one setup without providing the 24 volts the electronics need. When I tried I got a squeal that sounded like feedback. I think they would damage the amplifier if you tried to use them. At any rate they will not work at all without the 24 volts.

Chuck

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
Hey, what ever happened to Mr. "I have a VIC-3 system for $1000"?

Chuck you could always contact him to see if he still has another one for $1000 that he pulled out of the garbage at Ft Monmouth.

ida34

Right before he posted I found his old post and sent him a message. I think this is what brought him to sell the thing since he had other people asking. The vic-1 system is just fine for me. I would not drop $1000 at one time for an intercom. I will drop $1500 a little at a time piece by piece. I like the bose headset and look forward to show season next year to see just how good they are.

rats609

accesory cable for Bose and Vic-3

There is also an adapter cable allow the Bose headset to be switched from the VIC-3 comm to mobile radios like the MBITR. It lets you get in and out of the vehicle without pulling the headset off still maintain communication. It's from a company called Delaire USA: NSN 5965-01-581-7244

TRAC Tactical Radio Adapter Cable - Delaire USA

popacom

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hate to bust your bubble but I work for the Co. that NAPCO Intnl. subcontracts to actually build the ANR -A-80 Module and I can tell you first hand(because I had a discussion with our engineer )who by the way designed the new AM-1780n and was on the design team at Cinn.elecronics for much of the vic original design process and he said the ANR A-80 is completely different than standard A-80 as the impedance matches are different............SOOOOOOO! just adding 24V at center pin on 6 pin audio connection is'nt gonna end with the result you are searching for,and because I'd like to accomplish the same thing you do but can't get the parts due to proprietary agreement with NAPCO Intl.
the best option you have at this point is sell your VIC-1 and all the pieces and apply towards a VIC-3 set-up (which is pretty pricey ,or sell the headset to someone who has a VIC-3 and can actually use it. Hope I've shed some light on the options as unfortunate as they are.
Not trying to be a vulture ,but if you do decide to sell your headset I would be interested as I recently aquired a VIC-3 for my Pinzgauer project. Good luck with whatever you opt to do.

popacom :grd:

Last edited:

deuceaid

Banned
Hate to bust your bubble but I work for the Co. that NAPCO Intnl. subcontracts to actually build the ANR -A-80 Module and I can tell you first hand(because I had a discussion with our engineer )who by the way designed the new AM-1780n and was on the design team at Cinn.elecronics for much of the vic original design process and he said the ANR A-80 is completely different than standard A-80 as the impedance matches are different............SOOOOOOO! just adding 24V at center pin on 6 pin audio connection is'nt gonna end with the result you are searching for,and because I'd like to accomplish the same thing you do but can't get the parts due to proprietary agreement with NAPCO Intl.
the best option you have at this point is sell your VIC-1 and all the pieces and apply towards a VIC-3 set-up (which is pretty pricey ,or sell the headset to someone who has a VIC-3 and can actually use it. Hope I've shed some light on the options as unfortunate as they are.
Not trying to be a vulture ,but if you do decide to sell your headset I would be interested as I recently aquired a VIC-3 for my Pinzgauer project. Good luck with whatever you opt to do.

popacom :grd:

popacom couldnt you ditch the vic 3 conector --- put in some impedance matching transformers---and wire in a vic1 connector set? oh and supply 24 volts

pittss1c

I have a Bose TTH, and expected to find the pinouts of the ap-107 connector easily, but that has not been the case.
Does someone here have a link to the specifications that includes a pinout for the standard plug?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks