• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Is there an air operated power steering unit available?

EZFEED

I am thinking about doing some mods to my Jesterka and I want see if I can hook into the air system to power a steering unit and get away from the 12VDC one? Is such a unit available surplus or aftermarket?
If not maybe grafting a hydraulic system from a heavy truck in might work but I wouldn't have any idea on how to actuate it on a manual steering box which I have an extra of.

Any ideas guys :D ?

Capt.Marion

I'm not sure exactly how the Air-O-Matic system works, but for the manual steering box, the Deuces all have manual steering boxes unless they have a hydraulic or air-o-matic system installed. So it theoretically could be made to fit. The end I'd be worried about is how the steering arms and everything would hook up on the front axle... someone with more experience would have to chime in.

comdiver

The Air-O-Matic has two major components. There is an air valve that installs in place of the draglink and an air cylinder. When you turn your steering wheel, the drag link either pushes or pulls depending on the direction you want to travel. If it is pushing, air is allowed to travel from the truck's air system to one side of the air cylinder, if it is pulling, air goes to the other side. The cylinder applies force to the tie rod, giving you power assist steering.

I have an air-o-matic unit I would like to sell. PM me.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks