• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Flat Towing A CUCV Question

dilvoy

I have towed a few CUCV's using the shackle points and the Military tow bar, with all four wheels on the ground. I have always removed the rear drive shaft and unlocked the front hubs. If the transfer case was placed in neutral and the rear driveshaft left in place, would any damage occur to the Transfer case?

Warren Lovell

I don't think so, since it is going to rotate in normal operation. It is just that the rotation source is coming from the rear wheels instead of the transmission.

When we impound vehicles through the police, they are usually always towed with the front of the vehicle being attached to the tow truck. I think for long range towing, you might as well remove the driveshaft.

I see people towing jeep wranglers behind their Rvs with the driveshaft still in place.

Warren

dilvoy

If the output shaft doesn't dip into the fluid it may be spinning without oil splash lubing it's bearings. I've never opened up one of the 208's to see what's inside. If the output shaft or it's gear is sitting in ATF, I think it would be OK to tow it with the drive shaft installed and with the neutral position selected.

mangus580

It is suggested to pull the driveshaft off at the axle, and tie it up. If you take it out, the fluid will leak out of the rear seal of the T-case. I also dont think its good to tow with it spinning in neutral as Dilvoy suggests that you may not be moving enough ATF throughout the T-case.

mangus580

I am pretty sure its splash oiling. I do not recall seeing a pump inside my civvy one when I had it apart. I figure the time to take the 4 u-joint bolts out, and tape the caps on, and coat hanger the thing up so its safe, is well worth it.

Now, on the other hand, we have flat towed with the 205 case alot. Although, that was pretty short distances (20 miles tops). I can say that the Blazers flat tow better than most trailers I have pulled!! I would never bother putting one on a trailer unless I needed to.

Michael

I have flat towed a m1010 150 miles on the interstate with no apparent ill effects. I put everything in neutral and went with it. But then I have done a lot of stupid things in my time.

Westech

CPL
when flat towing the T case MUST BE IN "N" and the trany *MUST* be in PARK!!!!!! the T-case is a self lube IE no pump. The trany has a pump to lube and such. If the trany is alowed to spin and not running to lube everything the trany is toast in a little as 50 miles. yes I have this in wrighting from GM. Now having said that I flat towed my 1009 over 1000 miles last month and all is fine.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks