• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

long bed willys jeep..

tamangel

I saw a pic recently of a old willys jeep that had a long bed on it. At least longer than the standard cj models I was familiar with. Its not a long wheelbase, just the bed is longer. The wheelbase looked to be standard (80" or 100" or ?)It had the 'four wheel drive' script on the right rear , a drop down tailgate and one stoplight on the left. The bed length was the odd thing to me.. Any idea what model it was so I can do some more research..would be approx. late 40's, early 50's time frame and probably civilian model but unknown for sure..

any links would be appreciated..

Mike

pa.rich

A CJ7 was the longest I know of that the civies could buy. Was this one special made for ambulance purposes for military? As far as the date, It could be from the 70's or later, the 40's were a different body style. Most likely the 80's or 90's. Just throwing out a guess.

FrankUSMC

The military had a jeep ambulance that was made during the M38A1 years, it was called a M170.
The jeep that is pictured is a CJ6. Not a bunch of them were made. That were great little work jeeps with the longer bed. I have seen about 6 in my life.
The most famous CJ6 in the world, was the one that Presidaent Reagon used on his ranch. It was a beat up, work jeep, that he loved to drive. There are several photos of him driving it, it looked like it fit him like an old work glove, perfect!
One of the few, Frank USMC RET

tamangel

nice rig, but no..The wheelbase was shorter, like a normal cj model..just the bed was longer.. I went to a car show today. Here's a '48 model that looked the same in the back, but w/ a short bed..again, regular WB but longer bed.. the M170 has a long WB..

Mike

Attachments

tamangel

I found, what I think is a pic of the jeep/willys bed length. 1955 CJ5. From the book:
http://www.amazon.com/Classic-4s-Il...01/ref=sr_11_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1220742533&sr=11-1

pic was on page 1966 at the top. However the pic I saw was the same as the blue one above (at least the rear section) but again a longer bed.. which is a '48.. see how the bed in the pic below extends past the spare.. or is there some sort of optical illusion I'm falling for..?

Who is THE expert on late 40's/early 50's Willys Jeeps on this forum?

Mike

sorry about the double post..I just found out that, once someone replies to a post, it can't be deleted by the member..So now its just a blank area..

Attachments

BobM

This looks like another one of those times you needed your camera with you! I've had those times too. It's just darn hard to explain the unexplainable! :D

BTW:I had one of those 'no camera' times the other day and as I was telling the wife about it later she asked,"Didn't you have the cellphone with you?"
I'd forgotten that I have a camera phone! :oops:

tamangel

The bed length is the same but it is flush w/ the body sides. Not an add on or one off..Again, think Scrambler bed length w/ a 80" or ? wheelbase, but era of CJ2/3a. !948-53 time frame.

Still looking for the expert to discuss this via PM..

Mike

Jones

Jeep no doubt had a custom shop somewhere along the line for bulk orders of commercial models.
When I went to work for the RR there were some 2 wheel drive MB-like Jeeps on the property that were about 7/8 the size of a regular MB. They were ordered that way so that they could be driven throughout the railyards including between the tracks even if freight cars were on adjacent rails. Car inspectors used most of them along with yard clerks out checking car numbers. They weren't real successful; not because of their size but because they'd get stuck easily in the track ballast with only 2 wheel drive.

tamangel

fess up..

here's my problem. I have the pic of the Jeep in question, but the family does not want the picture posted so here's a face blacked out version. (their request)

So does this help?

look at area between both person's feet (arrow)and you see a rear wheel. On the other side you can see the spare mount (arrow). See how har the bed extends to the rear of both the spare mount and the rear wheel?.. and how flush it is with the body side. I realize that the canvas top only covers the front passenger compartment but even if it covered the rear passengers also, it looks to me as if the bed extends past where normal CJ2's stop..80" WB or ?..

Mike

Attachments

Somemedic

RE: fess up..

If you watch the John Wayne movie 'Hatatri' they used a couple of either CJ6's or 170's and a rover. Might be this bigfoot of the jeep world your speaking of

tamangel

RE: fess up..

CJ6 had longer WB and was introduced in, I think, 1970. This is a 1948 -1953 CJ 2/3. License plate (blocked out) was a 1951-1955 issue..

We'll find it somewhere..

Mike

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks