• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Driver seat done!

Warren Lovell

Here are two photos of my duece seat. I made a plywood back out of 3/4" finish grade plywood, and attached it to the seat back panel with 1/4-28 bolts. Don't forget to drill the wood back panels for air release or you'll sit down and the seat will remain a bit depressed. The foam I used is pretty heavy, so it doesn't compress very much. The vinyl is motorcycle grade exterior vinyl and holds up well. Now...on to the passenger side!

Warren

Warren Lovell

Hi Gary,

The "Jockey box" has yet to be restored...I'm looking for a velvet lining, perhaps Mob red! Or maybe I'll go down to T.J. and buy a cheap velvet Elvis painting and line it with that.

The dash is done...see photo at bottom...

I had the data plate professionally engraved. It turned out real nice.

The instrument panel is finished as well. Before and after.

I have herculined the cab floors, the dash is gloss olive, new steering wheel, new electrics, new seats, new windshields...now, to build the building to house this beast.

The tailgate will be a custom piece with a Humvee "AM General" logo panel incorporated into the center.

Warren Lovell

Desert Rat,

I have a local upholsterer do all my work. He charged me 97.00 to cover the driver seat. I used heavy duty foam.I have to pick up my passenger seat when I have some time.

I made new plywood bases for the bottoms and backs, as I didn't like the military's contruction technique...lowest bidder quality.

The hinge for the lower driver seat is a full length piece of metal running along the back. The original had a 2 piece set up that was riveted and had come a bit loose. I didn't want that to happen again, so I improved it. I cut and mig welded the uprights.

This seat also makes a great lounge chair for friends visiting my garage!

Warren

Warren Lovell

I have a trophy shop that does it here in San Deigo.They do a real nice job.

If you want, you can send me your data plate and I can have them do it, but I'm sure you have a trophy / engraving shop where you live and they could probably do the same thing.

Just make sure you get a sample of the font you want and specify the size, how you want it centered, and whether you want all caps or not.

Like I said, my guy does a great job. It sure beats hand stamping!

Warren

PS - it may look like I'm building the deuce one piece at a time! But it was a complete and nice running truck from March AFB.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks