• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CJ10A Tug

choll

I just won a CJ10A at Barstow. Waited 2 years to find one at a good price, this one must have been added at the last min. because only 3 people were bidding on it. It is going to be turned into a 4wd, does any one know the spec for this transmission,transfer and gear ratio. Any help would be great .

Thanks,
Chuck

Attachments

JeepMan

Please don't take this the wrong way but why bother changing it to 4X4??
I'm sure there's plenty of Jeeps that are already 4X4 that you can buy without having to re-engineer this one.
Just my opionion.

M37Dodge

It has been awhile .. .

From what I recall, the CJ10 has a Cummings, AMC 727 torque command (Mopar 727 torqueflite) a/t, Dana 300 t/c, and huge rears that are not geared for realistic use. The only trail version I ever saw was a CJ8 Scrambler that had the CJ10 cab and diesel engine swapped onto it. The CJ8 also allowed for more greater driveshaft angles due to its longer rear frame length.

Basically,IMHO the CJ10's get used as parts vehicles for CJ jeeps. Good luck.

What the heck can you do with one of these, isnt the top speed really really slow? For a trailer queen 4x4 it might work, but I would think swapping the engine into an older CJ would be an easier solution.

Unless of course, you will be re-engineering the suspension anyhow.

See Xtremeunlimited.com, xtremerubicons.com for any jeep stuff you might want to aquire.

choll

Hereis what I plan on doing: Taking the rear box and assembly off the rear and make it a flat bed taking the front and rear off and putting in the mopar dana 44's with the air locker. keeping the motor and transmission and putting in a dana 20 or atlas II transfer. This is the short version but I think you have the picture

DO IT.....

Do it. They are very very cool and you don't see many on the trail. You will have to put some work into it though. If I recall there is a lot of info about the swap and what you will have to change out on southernjeeps.org I was looking into doing it and found lots of info out there. It has been so long ago and so many projects back that I just can't remember all the good sites with the infomation.

nkawtg

RE: DO IT.....

These were powered by Nissan diesels, not sure of the trans. One thing I am sure of is they led a rough life.......towing ground equipment not very far, very slowly.......(at least at Charleston AFB, SC they did....)

1stDeuce

Should have a 727 trans, and a D20 transfer case that's been shifted into 4 low. Nissan diesel, likely similar (or the same) to the one that came in early 80's scouts with a turbo.
D70 rear axle I think. Toss a nice 60 up front and put a shifter on the t-case and you're in business!!

I think it'd make a good wheeling rig. Can't recall the guys's name, but one competed in rock crawling for a while... Made the magazines.

Nice catch!! Enjoy.

mikfloyd

Congrats on your CJ10a. I have had one for a couple of years now and have been having a blast with it. Mostly tinkering and getting it road worthy. Almost ready for some road and trail time, but need to finish the new bed for it first.

Check out this page for more info than you know what to do with:
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/CJ-10List/

And since it is the same engine as in the diesel Scouts, look here for engine info:
http://www.binderbulletin.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5
This is the diesel talk forum on the Binder bulletin page.

Yes it is a Nissan SD 33 engine, 727 tranny, AMC 198 transfer case locked in low range, Dana 70 with 4.88 gears, a dead (no differential) Dana 44 front.

It is basically a bobbed CJ 7 body on a shortened Wagoneer frame. Full size Jeep axles, springs, NP 208 transfer case etc. will bolt right up to it.

Check out the Yahoo site and it will tell you most of what you need to know.

Good luck,
Mike

Crash_AF

It's a Nissan SD33 (normally aspirated) diesel similar to the ones in the Scout. It has a TF727 transmission and a 208 transfer case locked in low range (Most had no shift fork even installed) . The rear is a Dana 70 with 4.88 gears. The frame is actually a shortened FSJ (Wagoneer) frame so you can use a J20 front axle with 4.88 gears to match the rear.

Later,
Joe

madsam

I looked into this a while back. I liked the idea of a diesel jeep. The first thing is that these have a massive piece of steel on the back axle for traction. That can be taken off and sold for scrap. I have herd that some of these transfer cases have hight gears and some don't. Get a dana 60 for the front and maybe a transfer case. I was planning on making a bio-diesel jeep to run around in.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks