• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

WMO recovery, How do you...

Deuce_of_Spades

WMO recovery, How do you go pump/recover your black gold? I have 500 free gallons of UMO I can go and pick up but I only have a very light duty oil pump by Fill-Rite.

I want to know what you guys are pumping with? Are you all spending the big bucks on some sort of diaphragm pump, air opp'ed. or is there a way to turn your truck into a pump? Can I run some sort of vaccum hose off the engine to a bunch of drums or what? I'd love to know what setups are out there. I want to get this WMO before people start charging me for it. I found 3 totes(275gals.) for 20 bucks a piece so I have the storage but not the transport from tank to tank!

Thanks SS!

nf6x

Feral Engineer
So far, I've just accumulated 20-30 gallons or so of my own waste oil (well, actually it came from my trucks) in a drum and I haven't burnt any of it yet, but I'll throw something out anyway: Last time I was at Harbor Freight, I noticed that they had a few different drum pumps, both in hand-cranked and air-powered versions. One of those might come in handy as long as you're retrieving the oil from tanks that have a big enough hole in the top and aren't any deeper than a drum is.

Also, I just saw a link to this 12V/24V oil pump in another thread where the poster was asking about using it as a pre-oiler pump:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=4097

I hope these suggestions give you some good ideas.

Deuce_of_Spades

Re: RE: WMO recovery, How do you...

nf6x said:
So far, I've just accumulated 20-30 gallons or so of my own waste oil (well, actually it came from my trucks) in a drum and I haven't burnt any of it yet, but I'll throw something out anyway: Last time I was at Harbor Freight, I noticed that they had a few different drum pumps, both in hand-cranked and air-powered versions. One of those might come in handy as long as you're retrieving the oil from tanks that have a big enough hole in the top and aren't any deeper than a drum is.

Also, I just saw a link to this 12V/24V oil pump in another thread where the poster was asking about using it as a pre-oiler pump:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=4097

I hope these suggestions give you some good ideas.
nf6x, thanks for the suggestions but I have this very pump. I use it to filter my wmo before it goes in the truck. But after 50 gals or so it starts to smoke. It would not make it through a 500 gal. transfer.

As for the Harbor Frieght jobs, they dont have any electric oil transfer pumps and the hand crank pumps are just a little to much for me at 500 gals. What is it, 15 revolutions per gal?

CraneTruck, What does a Binks diaphragm pump run? Gals per min? Do you think it will run off the Deuce?

bottleworks

Get a GM 350 engine oil pump from Autozone. You can tap it to 3/8" NTP and connect an electric drill to it. Pumps over 10 Gals a minute. That's what I use because it's the cheapest way to do it. Bjorn's pump would be the best, just the most costly.

Deuce_of_Spades

CCATLETT1984 and res0wc18,

So what is a trash pump exactly? They have these at Harbor Freight? Is it like a sump pump? Like for gray water? And I can use this for UMO? Any pics?? Thanks for any info!

ida34

Thrash pump is for stuff like pumping rain water out of a construction hole. The have a small gas engine that runs a large pump that has a high volume at low pressure. They have them at harbor freight in the same section as the sump pumps. The trash pumps have a semi rigid suction hose and the discharge hose usually is PVC hose like the ones used for pool pumps when you are back washing the filter.

Deuce_of_Spades

Is there any real reason why this pump would not work...?

1-1/2" Clear Water Pump with 2.5 HP OHV Gas Engine

Powerful 2.5 HP, 79cc, 4-stroke overhead valve gas engine
52 gallons per minute
72 ft. head lift
23 ft. suction height
Low oil alert
1.5 continuous operating hours
Recoil start
EPA and CARB certified

Comes with 2-1/2" x 2" hose adapters, barbed fittings, gaskets, clamps, joints, rubber feet and strainer. 3600 RPM; Fuel tank capacity: 0.37 gallons/1.4 liters; Oil capacity: 12-1/2 oz; Max. solids: 5/32"; Inlet/outlet: 1-1/2"; Overall dimensions: 12-3/4" L x 17-3/8" W x 15-1/4" H
Weight: 40.7 lbs.

Attachments

Deuce_of_Spades

Whaaoooh horsie! Ok so I was thinking mabe the smallest 1.5 inch not the 4 inch!!! And I thought the 1.5 inch was a bit over kill. the 4 inch is a lot over kill! But you guys think I can pump oil with these????

ida34

I don't know how long the pump will work. It says it is for clear water only. People making bio diesel have been using a cheap clear water pump from HF and they seem to not have a problem with them breaking down. I just got two of them. One will be used for my bio diesel reactor and the other will be used to filter WMO. Since you are not putting any pressure on it I would think they would do just fine. the trash pumps can pull form 50 feet or so down and self prime. If you do not have to lift then a lesser pump would work. If you need to lift then you need something a little beefier.

Deuce_of_Spades

Thanks for the info Chuck! I have to pull from a tank that is about 8 to 10 feet up in the air, down to the pump on the ground and the push it up to my tote tanks sitting in the back of the deuce. So thats another 10 feet or so. and I dont want it to take all day. I think I like the idea of that clear water pump. I think I would only need the 1.5 and not the 4 inch pump. I can throttle it down if I want and at 50 gals a min. it wont take me all day. To collect my little treasure!!!

nf6x

Feral Engineer
I'm looking forward to hearing how the trash pump works out. I've been thinking about buying one of those, though not for oil transfer. I have a 5,000 gallon water tank on my property for fire suppression. It's there so that a fire truck can hook up to it and have some water to pump, since the city water supply at my rural property can't feed a proper fire hydrant (so my house is on city water, but I still need a fire tank as if I was on a well). I'd like to get a pump that I can use to run my own fire hose off my tank, and those HF trash pumps looked interesting. I was thinking about seeing if I could convert one to run off a propane tank, so that I wouldn't need to worry about gasoline going bad in the tank and failing me when I need it the most.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks