• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Won My Dolly!

rumplecat

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I won my Dolly M198A1, I had to bid on it three times but now it is All Mine! I am a little nervous about the two failures to pick up the dolly but it looks fine in the photos and the price was right! I just hope I can roll it home behind my Armada, tongue weight is showing 250lbs at 30 inches so the down angle shouldn't cause too much more weight on the hitch?
Anyway it's mine and only a three hour drive!
James G.

Attachments

Barrman

I was looking at it as well. The hurricane kept me from bidding since I didn't know if I would have a house to bring it back to or not.

Very glad a fellow Ss member got it.

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
Looks like one of the ones we painted to take to Desert Shield and then into the storm. We did not have enough tractors in te First Cavalry Division so I rounded up all of the dollys that the Army had in inventory and had them all shipped to Fort Hood. We even got the last four M354 two axle dollys and painted them all tan and took them to the war. It was a sight to see in the desert an M923 loaded to the gills and then towing an M871 trailer or M 127 behind it the drivers hated them because they had to crawl up hills with both vehicles near or over max load.

Congrats on the win just currious was it less than the five hundred I put into making mine?

Ask Adam he towed mine with his pickup truck

rumplecat

Steel Soldiers Supporter
$405

With the GL cut and taxes it was a tad over $400 which is a great price for me since I gave up at over $600 on the two previous times I bid on this same dolly! This has been on my wish list for a couple of years. now for an M818!
James G.

jasonjc

RE: ?

It's got a transmission. And it starts and runs great. :wink:

It just don't move :cry: aua :cry: :cry:

At least it has two full tanks of fule. :) well it did last week hope fully it still will. :|

MilitaryRestoration

RE: ?

I would've bid'd on that but way to far away for me :-/ glad to see a ss member got it though! :)
btw-does anyone have a dolly laying around they'd like to sell and they aren't too far away from west coast....?

rumplecat

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Picture Please

How about posting a photo of your 818 with the 52s, it looks like a 10 ton with those tires. Jason, I found an 818 near Russellville, was a logger until he blew the winch then the transmission, I am sure he will think it is still worth 3k, but I am going to drive out to see him any way.
James G.

rumplecat

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Pick Up the Dolly

Picked up the dolly this week, it is in great condition including new tires and all the hoses are there, unfortunately they did bend up one of the hose covers but that is easy to fix, as I knew before I bid the landing leg is messed up, if anyone has some clear photos of their leg it would help me figure out how to fix this one, just looking at the leg and sliding support I can't visualize how they go together, so any photos would be appreciated. One word of caution to anyone lifting up the lunnette end of a dolly, don't tip it too far or you may spend an hour or so trying to get it back down without damaging your dolly or your backhoe it is heavier than it looks!
James G.

Attachments

jwaller

Re: RE: Pick Up the Dolly

Offroadfabworks said:
:drool: i needa dolly

great score on it
come get mine. I'll make you a deal on it. just had 2 new hose covers and 4 good 9x20's put on it and the air brakes work.

scooter01922

RE: Pick Up the Dolly

nice looking dolly:), by the way.......looks like you did indeed settle on the backhoe to purchase. I remember you asking about them a while back. How bout some tractor pics for us tractor buffs??

rumplecat

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bigger Than I thought it would be!

It rides good behind the deuce pretty level even with the 11X20s on the dolly, I am going to have to do some practice on backing it up, it will not do what I want! And have way too many trees on the property is no help either!
James

Attachments

scooter01922

RE: Bigger Than I thought it would be!

thanks man, nice lookin hoe you got there. I'm sure it is coming in handy in ways you never though possible, i know mine does.

jwaller

RE: Bigger Than I thought it would be!

good luck backing it with the deuce. the dolly turns very quickly, are hard to see, and with no power steering it's a whole lotta fun but the first time you use it, it'll pay for itself. just don't get into a situation where you need to apply the trailer brakes independently from the truck bc you wont be able to without a hand brake.

Re: Bigger Than I thought it would be!

rumplecat said:
It rides good behind the deuce pretty level even with the 11X20s on the dolly, I am going to have to do some practice on backing it up, it will not do what I want! And have way too many trees on the property is no help either!
James
Wait till you put a trailer on it. Backing has never been such an adventure!

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: Re: Bigger Than I thought it would be!

Dave, you need that dolly with all your 5 ton stuff.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks