• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Winching observations.

kendelrio

Steel Soldiers Supporter
recently went to Mudfest in Colfax, La. It was a really great time while I was there. When people got stuck, there were more than enough folks willing to jump in with their trucks/ATV's to help pull others out.

the main thing I noticed though, was a lack of observational safety. People were standing in the line of fire, in front of vehicles and I saw one man try to get under a vehicle that was trying to back out WITHOUT alerting the driver.

During the day, I did my part to keep people safe (asking them to move out of the line of fire, directing recoveries etc.). I have been on the phone with the director of the event and volunteered the deuce and me as a recovery team during the next one (they are going to try to have it in October).

I guess the point of this post is: whether or not you are directly involved in an activity, you CAN get involved to keep someone from getting hurt or killed. Here is a great poem:

I could have saved a life that day,
But I chose to look the other way.
It wasn’t that I didn’t care,
I had the time, and I was there.
But I didn’t want to seem a fool,
Or argue over a safety rule.
I knew he’d done the job before,
If I called it wrong, he might get sore.
The chances didn’t seem that bad,
I’ve done the same, he knew I had.
So I shook my head and walked on by,
He knew the risks as well as I.
He took the chance, I closed an eye,
And with that act, I let him die.
But I chose to look the other way.
Now every time I see his wife,
I’ll know I should have saved his life.
That guilt is something I must bear,
But it isn’t something you need to share,
If you see a risk that others take,
That puts their health or life at stake.
The question asked, or thing you say,
Could help them live another day.
If you see a risk and walk away,
Then I hope you never have to say,
But I chose to look the other way

by Don Merrell

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks