• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MIG Welder....

rmgill

So, a pawn shop near me is going out of business and they have a wire feed MIG welder for sale. Interestingly it has a pair of the usual outputs for switching welding handle and ground AND a SECOND set of connections for wiring it up to a 24 volt battery source. The idea of having a welder that I can hook up to the slave connection on the truck is, to say the least, interesting.

The shop wants $295 for it WITH the tank. I couldn't find a MFGR on it.

The model is listed as a MUlti-Mig/Flux Model 90430. Is this a cheap chinese unit that's going to die or a decent mid range unit. the lower settings had it rated as 100% duty cycle. It's Only a 15 amp input at 120 AC so it's not a hot shot welder, but seems like a useful thing to add to the kit on the truck.

rmgill

And I just checked around, here's one for sale, purchased new for $300. So $295 is WAY too much for one that's used and somewhat beat up.

Italian made apparently, Triple-A Specialty Co. Anyone have idea on quality on these?

I need a welder, I'd LOVE one that I can toss in the back of the deuce and take on the road and have useful on the road.

nickd

ryan,
I bought a Lincoln mig welder. It is a 240 volt unit, they make 120v unit also but it is not as "hot" as the 240v unit. I do use a shielding gas its an argon mixture and I recently purchased an aluminum spool gun and another tank of 100% argon for shielding gas. Buy a good machine and it will out last you

MilitaryRestoration

I just broke down and bought a Miller 252 got a great deal on it via craigslist.... 4months old not a scratch on it and 1000.00 dollars less than what I was going to but it for, plus came with a full bottle and a new spool of wire. Welders are not a place to go cheap on especially when welding things that you need to trust ;-)

jimk

In Memorial
In Memorial
I got a new Lincoln Weldpak 125 (220V) added a gas kit and bought my own bottle ($350/$80/$250). Gas is 75%Ar/25%CO2 ($55 fill). It might be close to 20 Years old now. I use it MIG 99% of the time. I have a small Argon bottle for light Al work. The innershield (flux core/gasless) can do more for less but never seems to get used because MIG make nicer welds. I also have a new(06') Lincoln 215MIG ($1350) and old Lincoln AC stick welder($50 used w/ jumbo cord) and a fat 60' extension cord for use with all these.

The Chinese stuff I once used (long time ago) seemed to have less capacity than claimed and a poor duty cycle. It's better to extra capacity than not enough. If you want quality work get a quality rig. Get one big enough for the task at hand and big enough for anything that may come along. JimK

p.s. The MIG I used in the mid 80's was Italian not Chinese.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks