• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Crude oil

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Perhaps, diluted anyway, some engines were made to run on crude in the years past...want to expand and explore the use of the heated fuel tank system also. Want to see how much the crude can be heated before it gives off gases, which could complicate things..

dabtl

Mine is all contracted for or I would send you all you could stand.

It is dirty and full of crap, that is why we 'refine' it for use.

About the only usable product straight out of the ground is 'well head gas' which is naturally occurring gasoline. Take a quart of WD40 and ad to it for use. Knocks like crazy and you will not be happy if the cops enforce the fuel law.

powerhouseduece

RE: Re: RE: Crude oil

i work for a chemical plant near baltimore, part of what we do is make the fuel cracking catalist. if you really want to seprate the fuel this is what you need. try to search fuel cracking catalist.

dabtl

Re: RE: Crude oil

cranetruck said:
dabtl said:
It is dirty and full of crap,.......
Can you expand on this, more specifically, please.
Oil comes from porous rock formations. It is abrasive material naturally. Simplified, it is distilled in 'cracking towers' to eliminate the impurities from the formation and separate by weight the various products.

Some oil is more suitable for fuels, Lybia produces the finest light crude and North Sea is almost tar. West Texas intermediate is the standard.

So, depending on what kind of crude you get, it may be too thick and dirty for use or just right. You never know unless you know the source.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: Re: RE: Crude oil

Hmm...there are many examples of "crude oil" engines and I am wondering how the fuel was prepared, I guess, to rephrase the question. Still would like to get a gallon or two to play with.

There are many hits like this one:

"In 1893, J & CG Bolinders Mekaniska Verkstads AB built their first combustion engine, designed by an engineer named Weyland. This was not particularly successful, so J & CG Bolinders Mekaniska Verkstads AB engaged another engineer by the name of Rundlöf as a consultant. In 1897, they presented a two-stroke crude-oil engine that was a tremendous success. In the 1920s, it had a global market share of around 80% in fishing boats. Reliability, fuel economy and long service life all contributed to its success."

AMTAK

A friend of mine has a gas well and gets oil out of it. He sells it to a guy that runs it in his cat D9. The oil that comes out of western PA is some of the best in the world. I can ask him if we can get some. How do I get it to you?

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Shipping could be a problem, looked up the USPS regs and since crude oil has a very low flash point (room temperature) the limit is 1 pint in a plastic container.

Thanks for the offer to supply the oil, but it will have to wait until a personal delivery can be arranged.

Attachments

Heath_h49008

I was searching the forums and found this... any word on how the experiment worked out?

I'm looking at what a system would be that could process crude and if the methods could be applied to other waste stock.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks