• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Bead Breaker

wpzimmer

Some years ago I was in an Army Motor Pool and saw an hydraulic bead breaker being used on some Deuce wheels. Worked quite well. It was a four legged spider like thing that fastened to the wheel and used what looked like a hydraulic jack to force the feet of the thing under the bead lock ring and downwards to push the tire off the rim. Worked pretty well. I have seen an illustration of these things in the manuals but the image quality was lousy so it was unclear how exactly the things were made or used. I would like to find or fabricate one but need a better picture. Anyone ever seen one of these or used one. I am getting too old for the slide hammer thing and the truck places around here seem to think I am made of money.

mangus580

I Have used one... they work great. I have a buddy who made a mechanical version of the same thing. It uses threaded rod instead of the hydraulics. He said it works even better!!

Djfreema

In Memorial
In Memorial
They are a must. I tried like heck last week for 45 minutes trying to break a bead with a sledgehammer and even driving my M1009 on the tire and could not pop the bead. I was trying it for "fun" to see if I could break down a wheel and quickly gave up.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I used a hydraulic one when I helped JDToumanian do 13 tires...I was POOPED!

Rattlehead

I have a mechanical one as well. Better than the duckbill sledge, but still a PITA. The problems I have are that the bead breaker seems to push the tire down a bit, then the feet start slipping on the tire and it won't go any farther. Then you have to back off the tool, move to a different spot on the tire, and do it again. Repeat. Repeat....repeat......repeat..........Flip the tire over and repeat...repeat....repeat....

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Re: RE: Bead Breaker

CCATLETT1984 said:
This is the reason i have hmmwv rims :D

20minutes to change a tire, no issues at all. 8)
How did you ever get them to fit? They aren't even close on my deuces.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks