• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Polaris Has Gone Tactical - Eating Gators

Tx75Pinz

The gunner has the same problem we have quail hunting out of one. If the target is on the starboard side he plays havoc trying to engage it.

Michael

MINNEAPOLIS (November 26, 2007) -- Polaris Industries Inc. today announced the Company has delivered a military version of Polaris' "Hardest Working, Smoothest Riding" RANGERTM utility vehicle to the U.S. Army at Fort Campbell, Kentucky.

The MVRS800, is the newest addition to the Polaris family of Ultra Light Tactical Vehicles produced for the military. It is powered by a 760cc, 40hp Patriot EngineTM that operates on JP8, the U.S. military's standard fuel. This breakthrough engine was first introduced by Polaris earlier this year on the militarized all terrain vehicle (ATV), the MV800.

Attachments

woodyNla

They used the JD Gator, so why not the Polaris? I looked at both civilian models before deciding on the Ranger. It is IMO a much better machine than the Gator.

B3.3T

It may be an improvement over a Gator, but is still nothing but a golf cart. I can put an MG on my son's big wheel . Does that make it a "tactical" vehicle? Half of all this marketing to the military is to appease law makers who don't know crap about what is or is not a military vehicle.

Wolf.Dose

You compare a 2007 product with a product that run through the trials in the early 90's at Fort Brag and was considered to be a one way use vehicle. The Gator is still a good vehicle and many of us would be happy to own one. It still has a good beer carrying performance, especially after the gross weight is higher than before for the 6x4 (close to 1000 kg payload). The 4x2 /4x4 versions have a lac of payload, if you consider a payload of about 200 lbs beside 2 people as such. May be for a meeting a 4x4 HPX Gator is a nice vehicle to look arround and can fulfill most of your needs of transportation during such an event. And their endurance is not to bad; many parts may be out of order and they still run. If the drive train stucks, just clean it with a hight pressure stean cleaner to get the dirt out. Thats it.
I would like to have a 6x4 or a 4x4 Gator, but they are too expensive in Europe (more than double the price the Army pays for them). There is no Army surplus. My friends and I myself are looking since years into the surplus lists: nothing!
Wolf from Germany

Wolf.Dose

The mule is a nice to have. But Gators were not intended to carry a big 50. But they can carry Stingers and stuff like that. And their ground pressure is much lower than that of the mule due to its low tire pressure of only 0.2 to 0.3 bar. Every vehicle is made for the needs of its time.
Wolf

deuceman51

These units are pure junk. In SD alone we lost about 4 due to the rear diff housing cracking wide open(aluminum). I just finished replacing our rear diff at the shop after it split apart also. All we use ours for is driving around the motor pool to get trucks, ect. The NG is not impressed with them, I can't see them holding up to hunters let alone military field use. They are also really underpowered.

Wolf.Dose

As I said, they were built to the requirements of the Army in the early 90's. And they fulfilled the requirements in the tests as a throw away vehicle. And to my experiance Gators rum more than 800 hours without repair, which is a lot for an one way vehicle.
Wolf

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks