• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Compression tool for connectors

ktm380

I see that I can get rubber connectors from saturn but what tool do I need? And can the same tool be used on the older metal connectors?

Jones

You might check on ebay for a Daniels Mfg Corp. (or similar maker) "AF8 Crimping Tool" to correctly crimp on the metal connectors. There are two sizes of these tools, make sure you get the one for 26 to 12 ga. wire. Look at an original connector and you'll see the four distinctive little dimples where the tool has done it's job. The regular automotive crimping tools tend to distort the connector so that it won't slide together with it's insulating sleeve/coupler.
Hope this helps, Jones

Jones

Mine doesn't have the turret and the only thing I have to do is manually position the depth so that the crimp ends up in the right place. Big thing is to make sure it's for the bigger automotive wire sizes as the crimping tools are also made to do the smaller comm and computer wires.

ktm380

The crimper is model #AF8. I think this is the bigger one right? Jones, I'm going with you on this one, not going to use the turrets. I got some connectors from Saturn yesterday and don't know how they go together? Some have the rubber, plastic, & the termal (12g female) another has rubber, metal washer, & termal (14g female) another has rubber, U shaped metal washer, & termal (14g male). How go they go together?

Jones

Tool: Mine is marked AF-8 and under it M22520/1-01 The selector wheel is marked 12 through 26 Wire Size. The tool is just over 9" long. This is the one you want; I have a smaller version, also marked AF-8, that is useless to me because it won't take the automotive wire or terminals.
Connectors: Try www.olive-drab.com/od_mseries_connectors.php3 for a good picture of how the terminal components stack together. Olive-drab has some pretty good info in the Military Vehicles section under MV technical reference downloads. Check it out.
Hope this helps.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks