• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New HMMWV spy photos

Barnstormer

I was up in Salida, Colorado today, and saw these trucks at a gas station. New HMMWV? They had manufacturer plates on them, packed with data collecting gizmos. The driver of one of them (with a heavy accent...German?) said it was the new model. Said it was OK to take some pics, but didn't seem like he wanted to answer any questions.

Here ya go!
(sorry if this is old news)

Attachments

M1075

Thanks for sharing these pics! From the front, it almost looks comical. From the side view, I kinda like it. Any more pics of the trailer?

Elwenil

Hmm, looks like a normal HMMWV with a different front end, wheels, flares and slightly different doors. I wonder what engine was in them. The only reason I can think of putting on a bigger front clip is to house a bigger engine, ala M35A3.

Tanner

notso

Re: New hummer

101ABSniper said:
Why does one have a cut out above the front tire?
That one appears to have some sort of instrumented wheel on it. I don't know what it is recording, but that transducer may have something to do with the cutout.

EDIT-- Also, note the stenciled letters below the doors. My guess is these are Hybrid electric drive test chassis with the accompanying data recording instruments.

sprucemt

Re: RE: New HMMWV spy photos

MilitaryRestoration said:
are those the electric version? or hybrid however you want to call them
They must be the new hybrid diesel version that just burn diesel considering the unit is sitting next to the diesel pump.

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
RE: Re: RE: New HMMWV spy photos

Interesting. Looks like that hood will reduce front visibility a good bit. I wonder if they are hiding an AC condenser behind that grill along with an inter-cooler?

tlm47201

The hummer is due for a reconfig. Several companies are readying prototypes. Navistar has one also. If you saw the Navistar, its looks is way heavier, and looks like that new Navistar dually truck. A friend does government reman work, in conjunction with Cummins, and he has two hummers sitting in his shop to retrofit. Goal I think is to increase utility value, and effiency. A 4BTA Cummins was discussed, and 6BTA also. I suspect these are just another company, possibly Volkswagen's entry into the bidding wars.

nf6x

Feral Engineer
That big hood will take some getting used to, but then the original HMMWV looked pretty odd until we got used to them, too. Those rims sure have lots of bolts.

Thanks for sharing the pictures!

JAsher45

this truck was in last weeks ARMY TIMES. it is set to replace the outdated HMMWV. the power is to be updated so it can handle all the bolt armor that the HMMWV cant handle..

superburban

JAsher45 said:
this truck was in last weeks ARMY TIMES. it is set to replace the outdated HMMWV. the power is to be updated so it can handle all the bolt armor that the HMMWV cant handle..
As I understand, it's supposed to be able to handle all of the bolt on armor and still have the HMMWV's original payload rating after it all!

kcimb

superburban said:
JAsher45 said:
As I understand, it's supposed to be able to handle all of the bolt on armor and still have the HMMWV's original payload rating after it all!
I thought they were going to phase out the Hummvee in favor of that utility vehicle common to all services..uh..joint light tactical vehicle?

The new hummer..can it carry all the additional armor, provide more power, protect the occupant better, and still carry its original payload WITH the armor?

Is the hybrid system a nightmare for hummvee mechs to fix?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks